Is bleach the answer did i shock it right

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
blackberry
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 16x32 fibergrass inground ,sand filter. saltwater,hayward 1hp maxflow

Postby blackberry » Mon 25 May, 2009 21:20

Ok it could be pink slime.Thers alittle on one side of the skimmer and some on a couple of the screws around the light.I brush and really poured in the bleach now heres my numbers
TC 20
FC20
PH 7.4
ALK 90
CYA 50
My FC was 5 so did I shock it right

Also is it ok to swim in the pool if I do have this pink slime stuff

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Mon 25 May, 2009 22:35

Yes, you shocked correctly. Keep it at shock level (and brush the area with the pink slime) until the following occurs: 1) you measure <= 1 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) drop overnight, 2) you measure <= 0.5 ppm Combined Chlorine (CC), 3) the water is clear and the problem is gone.

So long as you have measurable FC in the water, the water is safe to swim in even with the pink slime on the sides (if that is what it is). Some people swim in water at shock level; some don't. With the 20 ppm FC and 50 ppm CYA in the water, your pool is equivalent to having 0.6 ppm FC with no CYA which is less than most indoor pools. It will be harsher on swimsuits, skin and hair, but more similar to a typical indoor pool. Obviously, do not drink the water in significant quantities (not that you would). If you want to play it safe, wait until you are done shocking before swimming.

Postby Guest » Tue 26 May, 2009 07:36

Im not sure about this part.Do I keep adding bleach until it drops or it will go down by itself.I know but I will get this bleach shocking method after a while. Thanks for you help
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Tue 26 May, 2009 13:00

You add chlorine until you get to the target shock level of FC for your CYA level. The FC will drop over time so you add more chlorine to keep the FC up. You do the overnight test to see how much the FC drops and you can measure the CC at that time as well.

As soon as you meet the criteria I outlined, you then just let the FC drop on its own which it will do reasonably quickly if the pool is exposed to sunlight (a few days). Once the FC drops to a more normal level of around 7.5% to 15% of the CYA level, then you do your regular regimen of adding chlorine to maintain the FC in that range.
blackberry
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 16x32 fibergrass inground ,sand filter. saltwater,hayward 1hp maxflow

Postby blackberry » Tue 26 May, 2009 17:58

Thanks so much for explaning I get it now. :thumbup:

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”