particles in pool water

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
aneysiasnanny

particles in pool water

Postby aneysiasnanny » Sun 23 Aug, 2009 20:06

My pool water looks clear but when you look closely there are little particles floating in the water. We have used clorine, algaecide, and shock in it. We run the skimmer and vaccuum the bottom. I don't know what to do. Help.

Camden
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: I have a 16000 gallons water capacity, rectangular with an oval shape at shallow end, plaster all around, filter grid

Particles in pool water

Postby Camden » Sun 23 Aug, 2009 22:24

Hi if you have a grid filter and its dirty or torned; please and I say please replace new ones; if sand filter I have no suggestion yet. Torned or dirty filters will causes the particle to vacuum in and back into the return line and back in your pool. No matters how long you run your pump, it will cost you time and money, and frustration. Let me know if it works.
aneysiasnanny wrote:My pool water looks clear but when you look closely there are little particles floating in the water. We have used clorine, algaecide, and shock in it. We run the skimmer and vaccuum the bottom. I don't know what to do. Help.
Camden
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: I have a 16000 gallons water capacity, rectangular with an oval shape at shallow end, plaster all around, filter grid

Particles in pool water

Postby Camden » Sun 23 Aug, 2009 22:27

Oh by the way, it the filters are in good condition; just rinse it off with a hose and becareful not to turn the water pressure too high, it's gonna damage your filters.
aneysiasnanny wrote:My pool water looks clear but when you look closely there are little particles floating in the water. We have used clorine, algaecide, and shock in it. We run the skimmer and vaccuum the bottom. I don't know what to do. Help.
aneysiasnanny

particles in pool water

Postby aneysiasnanny » Mon 24 Aug, 2009 22:08

The filter is in good condition and we have rinsed it off. We did that before I wrote in last time. It didn't work. Any more ideas?
Camden
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Particles in pool water

Postby Camden » Tue 25 Aug, 2009 02:00

I'm really sorry what I've told you didn't work; I clean mine everyday until I no longer have anything clinging to my filters. When I take my filters out and rinse it, I have less and less of what's in the pool and added 2 ounces of water clarifier to get the clear water I wanted. I'll ask around and I only wish to help you with your problem.
aneysiasnanny wrote:The filter is in good condition and we have rinsed it off. We did that before I wrote in last time. It didn't work. Any more ideas?
aneysiasnanny

particles in pool water

Postby aneysiasnanny » Thu 27 Aug, 2009 21:07

Thank you for your help. My husband put some stuff in the pool that made all the stuff go to the bottom of the pool. Now the problem is how do I vaccuum the bottom without stirring the stuff back up. Do you know anything about different kinds of vaccuums for pools? The one I have does not work very well. I was thinking about trying to find a better one.
Camden
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Particles in pool water

Postby Camden » Thu 27 Aug, 2009 22:37

aneysiasnanny wrote:Thank you for your help. My husband put some stuff in the pool that made all the stuff go to the bottom of the pool. Now the problem is how do I vaccuum the bottom without stirring the stuff back up. Do you know anything about different kinds of vaccuums for pools? The one I have does not work very well. I was thinking about trying to find a better one.

It's good to learn from what your husband did that way it eliminates the guessing. As for Mine, I was told to put in Diatomaceous powder and it clears up the pool momentary. However; the Diatomite powder had broken down to small pieces and it settled everywhere in my pool. I had cleaned my filters everyday for two weeks and believe it or not it cleared out dramatically. My problem that I have is the same with you, the minute I put my cleaner to work, it stirred up the pool and when we swam in it, visibility is about 4 feet is the max. I'm aiming to have it about 10 ft. Believe it or not, my brother's pool guy maintenant his pool and his chemical is way of the chart. The amazing thing is his water is so clear, I mean so clear that I can see from shallow end to the deep end; go figure. Well, let me know what you will do because I love to get the facts straight before bad mounthing of to someone's pool.
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

Particles in pool water

Postby czechmate » Fri 28 Aug, 2009 09:56

DE powder is normally deposited slowly into the skimmer where it dilutes and coats the surfaces of an DE Filter elements. (only DE equipment application).
There is no direct deposit of this powder to the pool itself with any meaningful results. It will just cloud your water and will take a good while, to get into the filter. You may be talking about flocculent, which bonds the particles smaller than 3 micro for the DE coated element , to be able to trap it.
Also I never heard about DE powder breaking up. The stuff is prehistoric and if it did not break down in the last million years , you can hardly do it now yourself.
Camden
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Particles in pool water

Postby Camden » Fri 28 Aug, 2009 23:56

czechmate wrote:DE powder is normally deposited slowly into the skimmer where it dilutes and coats the surfaces of an DE Filter elements. (only DE equipment application).
There is no direct deposit of this powder to the pool itself with any meaningful results. It will just cloud your water and will take a good while, to get into the filter. You may be talking about flocculent, which bonds the particles smaller than 3 micro for the DE coated element , to be able to trap it.
Also I never heard about DE powder breaking up. The stuff is prehistoric and if it did not break down in the last million years , you can hardly do it now yourself.

Hi, it's exactly what I would want you to reply. Terminology wise is new to me and will learn to put it in use correctly. Thank you for the info but I haven't use the flocculent yet but when I sweep the bottom floor these powdery stuff is everywhere.
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

Particles in pool water

Postby czechmate » Sat 29 Aug, 2009 15:54

If the DE is settled on the bottom there is only one working approach to get it to main drain. The same one I use to get out the inner ingredient, that comes with a calcium hypochlorite.
The Polaris will just churn it up and it will go right through the bag.
I use the wide brush with a slow steady motion and do the perimeter first, closing toward the main drain.
The trick is not to let the brush churn it up or create a cloud that will go past the main drain. After every forward motion stop for a couple of seconds, than twist and raise the brush.
That avoids dragging the rolling cloud of the DE back. I also stop about 2 feet before the drain. You can see dust swirling and being sucked in.
If you can switch to bottom only it works even better. Or put a chlorine puck over the suction holes in the skimmers.
It sound like a lot of details and lot of people will laugh at it, but it works and fairly fast.
Camden
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Particles in pool water

Postby Camden » Sat 29 Aug, 2009 23:11

czechmate wrote:If the DE is settled on the bottom there is only one working approach to get it to main drain. The same one I use to get out the inner ingredient, that comes with a calcium hypochlorite.
The Polaris will just churn it up and it will go right through the bag.
I use the wide brush with a slow steady motion and do the perimeter first, closing toward the main drain.
The trick is not to let the brush churn it up or create a cloud that will go past the main drain. After every forward motion stop for a couple of seconds, than twist and raise the brush.
That avoids dragging the rolling cloud of the DE back. I also stop about 2 feet before the drain. You can see dust swirling and being sucked in.
If you can switch to bottom only it works even better. Or put a chlorine puck over the suction holes in the skimmers.
It sound like a lot of details and lot of people will laugh at it, but it works and fairly fast.

Thanks for the advice, I did as similar as you described but without the twisting and raising the brush and I even taking my vacuum and manually doing the vacuuming myself. Those who laughs, let them laugh, because I personally believe you would have to see the water in person in order to foresee what needs to be done. I have tested my water 4 times at different places and intented to overdose the chemical to see what the pool testing would catch my mistakes, so far they all did and I have learned to get my water balance and will continue to learn. By the way, my next door neighbor's pool is crystal clear and when I told her about the chemicals that I have used, she blanked out and told me that all she has in her pool is chlorine and stablilizer for all 10 years and nothing else. I'm new to this but I don't believe what she told me is true. As far as DE powder when back washed, I have to use the right amount to refill what was back washed, is this correct?

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”