Cloudy swimming pool water problems

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
marimario12
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: pump

Postby marimario12 » Tue 29 Jun, 2010 07:23

Cloudy swimming pool water should be dealt with according to the reason for the cloudiness.

If the swimming pool water is milky, it is advisable to have the level of stabiliser (cyanuric acid) tested. A level of over 80ppm in the pool water is likely to lead to "chlorine lock" which can turn the water milky. If the problem is the stabiliser, you will need to drain some of the swimming pool water and refill with fresh water to bring the stabiliser level down to 30-50ppm. To avoid the level getting out of control, use a non-stabilised chlorine product such as calcium hypochlorite.

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Tue 29 Jun, 2010 13:26

(Your links appear to be spam).

There is no such thing as "chlorine lock". When the CYA gets higher AND the FC level is not proportionately raised, then the FC/CYA ratio becomes lower and that is related to the active chlorine (hypochlorous acid) level so slows down the rate chlorine can kill algae and oxidize bather waste thereby leading to a higher chlorine demand often with dull/cloudy water before a full-fledged algae bloom is formed.

Read the Pool School for more info on how to maintain your pool. In particular, understand the following chemical rules of fact that are independent of concentration of product or of pool size:

For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Trichlor, it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Dichlor, it also increases CYA by 9 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Cal-Hypo, it also increases Calcium Hardness (CH) by at least 7 ppm.

So even with a very low daily chlorine usage of 1 ppm, use of only Trichlor tabs/pucks will increase the CYA level by over 100 ppm in 6 months if there is no water dilution.

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”