Cloudy Pool, test results inside

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
nikolasmor
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 16x4 Ultra Metal Frame Intex w/ 4000GPH pump and SWG

Postby nikolasmor » Sat 17 Jul, 2010 11:10

Here are my pool specs
16' x 48" Intex Ultra Metal Frame AGP with 4000gph filter and SWG in-line. Holds about ~5000 gallons.

When I opened the pool after leaving the water in all winter(a harsh winter at that) I started with a TON of algea. My plan was to bleach and run for an hour or two each week during the winter but it was just too cold, which is abnormal for us. After lots of algeacide and shock the green has been gone for about 3-4 weeks.

However a cloudiness remains that I cannot get rid of to save my life. After getting a decent tester(I know, I know I need the taylor or HTH, its ordered) I got this reading yesterday

16-Jul
Hardness ~200 ~200
Total Chlorine 0
FC 1
Bromine 2
Ph 8.4
TA 0
CYA 0

July 17
Hardness ~200
Total Chlorine 1
FC 8
Bromine 20
Ph 6.9
TA 160
CYA 0

Yesterday after doing the reading I added 2 pounds PH- and 2lbs Stabilizer 3 96oz bottles of bleach(6%) and 3 oz clarifier. I then ran the pump and SWG for 8 hours and turned it off overnight.
About an hour ago I tested and got the above numbers. I added 40oz of Borax to raise the PH without affecting the TA levels, now I need to get the TA down and the CYA being at 0 is killing me! I will go out for stabilizer in an hour or so.

My plan is to add about 80 oz of liquid stabilizer to get the CYA in line, Monitor the FC and get th PH back in line. Reading the directions on the Super Clarifier is appears to work the same as Floc......

any thoughts on making this this crystal clear?

ahum132

Postby ahum132 » Thu 05 Aug, 2010 23:59

We are having same problem but noone seemed to respond to you, did you have any luck?
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Postby floridapooltech » Fri 06 Aug, 2010 11:10

It is very possible you arent running your filter long enough each day. To quickly clear up your pool, you can use either a flocculent, or clarifier, then run your pool system non-stop until the pool is clear. Make sure after the pool clears to clean the cartridge, or backwash to clean the filters. Make sure you are maintaining your proper CL levels and run the filter atleast 8-10 hours a day, this should prevent any future algal outbreaks!

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”