Sand filter help

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
journeyman
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: in ground gunnite 15 by 36

Sand filter help

Postby journeyman » Sun 08 Aug, 2010 16:42

the sand filter gets a scum on top of the sand. it dosen't back wash or rinse off. the top has to come off of the filter and the scum physically removed. after you do this , note the presure. next time the presure goes above the number by 3 lbs. do it again. the best way is to open up and drain the filter the night before. and let the sand dry out. then you can vacuum off the scum with a shop vac.

floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Sand filter help

Postby floridapooltech » Mon 09 Aug, 2010 00:59

journeyman wrote:the sand filter gets a scum on top of the sand. it dosen't back wash or rinse off. the top has to come off of the filter and the scum physically removed. after you do this , note the presure. next time the presure goes above the number by 3 lbs. do it again. the best way is to open up and drain the filter the night before. and let the sand dry out. then you can vacuum off the scum with a shop vac.

What kind of chemicals are you using to sanitize your pool or put in recently?

ie: polyquat algaecide?

Also, do you know if anyone has been going in the pool regularly with a lot of suntan lotion on? This has the potential to cause this type of buildup on filters. More details would definitely help!
swimfit
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Sand filter help

Postby swimfit » Mon 21 Feb, 2011 00:50

That's right. A lot of suntan lotion that regularly goes into the pool water can cause the build up.

Also, you need to check on the external additives that are used for the pool. A mismatch of one of the components can also result in such.

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”