Newbie here and to pools

Introduce yourself and let us know who you are.
We are happy to have you here!
sportsmom216

Newbie here and to pools

Postby sportsmom216 » Tue 24 May, 2011 08:40

Hi! As said in subject, I am a newbie here and to pools. We bought a house recently and inherited a pool with it. This pool was not opened or maintained for a few years. We are trying so very hard to get it cleaned up. We called in someone to look at it and was told that all equipment is working fine. We did have to replace a few parts but nothing major. We vacuumed, got most if not all of the algae off of the bottom, getting chemical levels to where they should be. Put clarifier in cause it was very cloudy, There is now some stuff settling to the bottom that needs to be vacuumed up but it is still very cloudy. I am so confused and not sure what to do at this point. BTW, is blue and cloudy. I am hoping to get great pointers all season long on here. You may see a lot of me. :lol:

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Newbie here and to pools

Postby chem geek » Tue 24 May, 2011 10:50

Keep the pump on 24/7 to filter the water. If there are no floor drains or pop-ups or returns near the bottom of the pool, then point some returns downward to improve bottom circulation. Also, brush the pool. The idea is to get the particulate matter into the filter. If you have a sand filter, then you can Add DE to a Sand Filter to improve circulation.

Also, increase your chlorine level to shock the pool. You can use the Chlorine / CYA Chart as a guide. If you don't have one, then get yourself a good test kit, either the Taylor K-2006 or the TFTestkits TF-100.
sportsmom
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Inground, vinyl liner, 16 x 32, 24,000 gallons, cartridge filter

Newbie here and to pools

Postby sportsmom » Tue 24 May, 2011 11:16

Read both replies and I thank you so much. I am going to give this a try along with a bit more patience and will see how it goes. Will repost later.

Return to “Welcome Aboard”