Lots of suction in skimmer basket but NOT getting to hose!

Introduce yourself and let us know who you are.
We are happy to have you here!
ValleA
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: old 1960's 18x40 inground pool, 20k gallons, gunite, copper lines, 3/4 hp WhisperFlo pump, new AquaNaut suction-side pool cleaner

Lots of suction in skimmer basket but NOT getting to hose!

Postby ValleA » Fri 16 Dec, 2022 22:16

Hi All! I'm new to this forum and really hoping somebody can help me. I just inherited my parents house which has a pool. I've been around it most of my life and know some things but have never been responsible for maintaining the pool. I'm a good DIY'er so I just need help figuring out what to do! Here's the problem: The filter is fine, about 16 psi and when I put my hand down to the bottom of the skimmer basket there is ALOT of suction. There was an attachment plate in the skimmer for a Kreepy Krawly. The vac has worked great for years but slowed down and stopped moving, despite lots of suction from the filter. So I bought a new 4 wheel AquaNaut and put in on the end of the hose. It moves a little but only has 5 wheel revolutions per minute instead of the 11-14 it's suppose to have, so it's really slow and can't make the climb to the shallow end. When I put my hand on the end of the hose there is barely an suction. So somewhere in the skimmer basket area the suction is being lost! My brother took the guts of it to the pool store and the guy there said it's working fine. So does anybody have any ideas about what to do or check? I'd attach a picture of the skimmer basket guts from my phone if I knew how but I'm not seeing how to do that, only for a website image.

Thanks!

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Lots of suction in skimmer basket but NOT getting to hose!

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 18 Dec, 2022 09:54

Where you write a post
Click Full Editor & Preview
Click Attachments
Click Add Files or you can drag and drop

Send the image to your PC first

Check the hose for leaks and make sure the attachment plate isn't damaged and seating down correctly
ValleA
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: old 1960's 18x40 inground pool, 20k gallons, gunite, copper lines, 3/4 hp WhisperFlo pump, new AquaNaut suction-side pool cleaner

Postby ValleA » Sun 18 Dec, 2022 12:51

Thank you for the response! Yes, I "ran" the entire hose length with the pump running to see if it sucked air anyplace and replaced 3 of the hose sections that had small leaks at the connectors, but it didn't change really. I also took apart the attachment plate and did a visual inspection and it's an old Kreepy Krawly plate (had several Kreepy Krawlys before the new AquaNaut) but I can't see anything wrong, and it's seated. I also took off the wier to inspect and reseat, I have pictures of these things but I think maybe a new user doesn't get to post attachments? There is not an attachment link in my "options". Should these oldish things be replaced anyway even if nothing seems wrong? When I remove the hose and hold the weir up all the water is sucked out of the skimmer area, it seems strong but I don't know if it's strong enough? because in normal operation it's split between the hose and skimmer, and neither does much.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 18 Dec, 2022 14:13

Not necessary to replace old things unless they're damaged
My sealing plate had a crack in it creating less suction
Normally when you connect the plate and hose the skimmer doesn't operate
Attachments
Add image.jpg
ValleA
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby ValleA » Sun 18 Dec, 2022 21:37

Yes, I understand and agree, was just wondering if there was some sort of incompatibility. Here is my plate set-up. There is some sort of motion when the hose is attached but not being sucked down really, I couldn't attached a few second movie to show it. Don't know how I missed the Attachment tab, feeling stupid......
Attachments
IMG_3343 small.jpg
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 19 Dec, 2022 02:31

When you run the pump with the hose attached do you notice any movement of the water in the skimmer
What does it look like with the plate removed
Does the main drain come in the bottom
You could send a movie to a cloud storage and post a link
ValleA
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby ValleA » Mon 19 Dec, 2022 21:47

There is a tiny bit of motion, shown in the uneven surface of the last pic, when the pump is running with the hose attached.
Yes, the main drain is at the bottom, about 8' down, so there is very little chance of me going down there in December....., pick attached.
See more pics of it all disassembled. There is a 3/8" or so gap in the plate to basket seal, but I don't know if that's new or makes a difference?
The bottom of the concrete basin has a 2" copper female NPT coming in from both sides. One side has the pump suction on it, I guess the other one turns a corner in the concrete and is attached to the "adjustment" copper tube in one of the pictures. It sticks in from the pool side. I have tried adjusting that but it's easy to turn now, whereas in the past it was impossible to pull away from the pool wall enough to turn it even slightly, and even then only had a few degrees of "active area" that made a difference in the suction.
I'll post again to add more pics.
Attachments
bottom of plate.jpg
plate removed.jpg
bottom drain.jpg
ValleA
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby ValleA » Mon 19 Dec, 2022 21:49

More pics.
Attachments
weir.jpg
adjustment valve.jpg
basket removed.jpg
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 20 Dec, 2022 02:28

If there is a 3/8" gap between the plate and skimmer then you are sharing the suction with the skimmer and the vacuum and it won't work
ValleA
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby ValleA » Tue 20 Dec, 2022 02:37

Sorry, I was mis-understood. There is not a 3/8" gap between the entire plate and skimmer, there is a 3/8" gap in the seal itself, ie the ends of the seal don't butt up against each other in the circular direction, see it in the picture of the underside of the plate. But I think it's always been like that, so please ignore that observation as a red herring. Thanks.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 20 Dec, 2022 06:06

Ok, so I see where you're talking about
Will the seal stretch to completly seal when in place as I doubt that it was designed like that
ValleA
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby ValleA » Tue 20 Dec, 2022 12:16

No, I tried, but even if I could temporarily nothing would keep it stretched, so it would relax back. But is this small gap enough to lose so much suction? It doesn't seem like it. So I'm thinking it's something else.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 20 Dec, 2022 13:17

Any leakage will reduce your suction, can you not get a replacement
With the plate fitted what is the suction like without the hose
I would be inclined to bodge up that gap and see if there is any difference

Return to “Welcome Aboard”