Hello

Introduce yourself and let us know who you are.
We are happy to have you here!
divinduck
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 12x24 AG 250#sand w/2hp 2speed

Hello

Postby divinduck » Wed 15 Apr, 2009 15:58

I am buying a AG 12x24 oval. The salesman sold me a 250# sand filter and a 2hp 2speed pump.

He offered a 125 sf filter but I did not want the hassle of washing a filter.

The pump is 3/4 hp 4.4 amps@ 60gpm on low and 2hp 16 amps @ 150gpm on high is the correct ?

Thanks

Me...
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Hello

Postby Me... » Wed 15 Apr, 2009 16:36

Sounds like great circulation! I guess you have about 8 returns and lots of 3" plumbing to handle that flow? I know a 36" diameter filter is only good to a maximum of about 140 gpm so how many filters did you say he sold you?

Going out on a limb, I would bet he is trying to follow what is finally considered good sense. It has always been a better way and 2 -speed and variable speed pumps CAN be much more efficient however you cant just stuff them into the same pools and plumbing as before and expect efficiency and proper operation. Your Cartridge filter offered should have been good for 2gpm per sq.ft. to be awesome but 1gpm per sq.ft. to be minimal. So 300 sq.ft. total or 150 sq.ft. minimally.

Design the whole pool including the returns, suction fittings, plumbing and equipment to run at a proper flow rate, in this case apparently 150 gpm. Use the 2 speed pump capable of this but run it on low speed. The high speed is really only used for backwashing the big filter, adding chemcials, vacuuming and other operations where the bigger flow is required. Normal day-to-day operation is on low speed and it is VERY efficient.

Im going to go further and assume you have a skimmer and 3 returns maybe. A main drain would be odd on an aboveground so that is most likely non-existent. Probably that flexible 1.5" hose for plumbing? And a 25" sand filter good for about 60-70gpm tops.

Maybe I am cranky today but if I am correct in my assumptions and your salesman worked for me I would feel the need to kick him in the shins ...................................
divinduck
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 12x24 AG 250#sand w/2hp 2speed

Hello

Postby divinduck » Thu 16 Apr, 2009 14:36

Thanks for the reply, the installer tells me the pump connections are 1.5" so that will be all the pvc pipe size.
I have 2 returns , 1 skimmer and 1 main drain in the bottom.

I tried the BBB on a 16 round intex and had green water.

The store sugests Pristine Blue for ease of use, I know it is not a true disenfectant but only my family will be swimming and I hate algee so I might go that route.

Return to “Welcome Aboard”