Copper and oxygen systems

Introduce yourself and let us know who you are.
We are happy to have you here!
david.herman64
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 27,000 gallons, 20X40 Grecian Lazy L, Liner 2hp pentair whisperflo, 960lb pentair sand filter.

Postby david.herman64 » Wed 29 Apr, 2009 16:23

Hello all, I'm a new member and I am installing a new 20 x 40 liner swimming pool in my back yard. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the copper oxygen systems that claim to use no chemicals are good to use. Thanks! David

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Wed 29 Apr, 2009 20:06

It's a spectrum of risk so "good to use" is relative. These are not EPA-approved sanitizers (pool water disinfectants). Copper is a registered EPA pesticide, so is an algaecide, but does not kill pathogens very quickly. You won't find these systems used in commercial/public pools without an EPA-approved sanitizer. For residential pools, the risk of person-to-person transmission is lower -- one person cannot infect dozens or hundreds in such a pool.
Me...
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Me... » Thu 30 Apr, 2009 16:47

Anyone who tries to sell you anything that claims to eliminate all chemicals in pool maintenance should be deported to some hot tropical cesspool where he can use his gadget to clean the water he needs. There is no such a thing ..................... yet and I doubt there ever will be.

Well, if you used a 100% flow German DIN standard Ozone system and your fill water by some fluke was of the correct makeup you might get away with it. You would have a slight Ozone residual in the water to keep it safe and every bug would be dead, but there are other 3 other possible chemical parameters to meet.

Return to “Welcome Aboard”