new pool

Introduce yourself and let us know who you are.
We are happy to have you here!
Lillybaby

new pool

Postby Lillybaby » Sat 11 Jul, 2009 14:56

We have recently bought a pool and we are past the point of frustration!!!We have had it for 3 weeks now and not once have we swam in it!!! we have filled ,drained and filled again 3 times. The first time was just to get the pool level..drained it and releveled...got it right ! 2nd time ..filled..we added the chemicles that we were told to add and our water turned green!! ...followed the directions on the chemicles and after 3 days of no change in collor we drained for the 2nd time...3rd time has to be a charm..right ...wrong...just finished filling the water,,had water tested by a pool company..put exactly what we were told to put in and the water is green again!!!! I almost dont want the pool!! I am soooo frustrated...summer is almost over and we have yet to use the thing!!! what are we doing wrong???? :(

Swim Today
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

New pool

Postby Swim Today » Sat 11 Jul, 2009 15:23

When a freshly filled pool turns green after adding chemicals it is usually because there is a high mineral content in the water. Usually copper and iron being the biggest two. The green is a result of a chemical reaction between the chlorine and the minerals in the water. Try adding what is called a mineral or metal remover to the water. You should start to see results within 24 hours. Do not add any more chemicals with in that time. Most pool stores should carry this basic chemical but if you are having a hard time finding it you can order through my online store with the link below.

new pool

Postby Guest » Sat 11 Jul, 2009 20:54

on the 2nd fill to the pool i did use a mineral remover..it was Iron Myte Mineral fighter...the green was even darker and it was in there for 4 days before we drained it...i am soo frustrated..everybody has pools but nobody can tell me what and how much of something i need!! plzzzz help. The local pool company told me I could use Mineric acid (spelling ??) !! I am going crazzzzyyyy!
Mel in MN

new pool

Postby Mel in MN » Tue 19 Jul, 2011 15:58

I had the same issue when first trying to have an above ground pool. The trick is - fill the pool and when it is half full, pour in the Iron Myte. For my 12 foot by 36 inch pool I use 1/2 bottle because we have HEAVY iron. Then, once pool is full - do your shock chemicals as directed (I just use one packet of SHOCK Treatment). Good to go, CLEAR Clean water!
Hope you have not given up on your pool yet!

Return to “Welcome Aboard”