New Member Intro

Introduce yourself and let us know who you are.
We are happy to have you here!
lbridges
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro
My Pool: Geometric 16K gal shotcrete w/exposed aggregate; Pentair EasyTouch w/wireless, 2 Intellibrites, VS-3050 pump, C&C 200 Filter, IC-40 SWG; Heliocol solar. Rocky's reel

New Member Intro

Postby lbridges » Sun 06 Dec, 2009 11:57

Hello, my name is Lee and I am in the process of getting proposals for a small to medium sized (16X36) in-ground, shotcrete, pool from several area builders.

I've been busy reading away - and so I'd like to say thanks to the forum owner(s).

I'm not a newbie on computers or forums, but I am to modern swimming pool maintenance, so there's a good chance I will need some hand holding from time to time.

Lee

HowardWalker
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 16 X 32 Blue Dolphin IG fiberglass, about 15K gallons. 1.5Hp Hayward pump, 3inch puck style Hayward cholrinator, 100 sq. ft. pleated cartridge filter. Jandy Valve controls and diverter for solar heating panels (three 4 X 10 panels on an elevated pressure treated wood rack).

New Member Intro

Postby HowardWalker » Sun 11 Apr, 2010 19:38

Good luck to you, Lee. Before I decided on a fiberglass pool I eyed the shotcrete option.

Tell me, what made you decide in favor of it? Custom size, options, or some other factors?
lbridges
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro
My Pool: Geometric 16K gal shotcrete w/exposed aggregate; Pentair EasyTouch w/wireless, 2 Intellibrites, VS-3050 pump, C&C 200 Filter, IC-40 SWG; Heliocol solar. Rocky's reel

New Member Intro

Postby lbridges » Sun 11 Apr, 2010 21:40

In my area the only viable fiberglass vendor has a very poor reputation for customer support after the sale. I know of no one that has gone the vinyl liner route - I think because we have such high ground water issues. After our last rain storm the ground water level rose to within ~3 feet of the turf.

In terms of progress, the shell/tank is in, plumbing done, waterline tile up. Remaining items are decking and equipment pad & equipment, then plaster & water.

While it's obvious there is still work to go, I have been pleasantly surprised several times by the PB crew, their work ethic, and willingness to go the extra mile.
HowardWalker
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 16 X 32 Blue Dolphin IG fiberglass, about 15K gallons. 1.5Hp Hayward pump, 3inch puck style Hayward cholrinator, 100 sq. ft. pleated cartridge filter. Jandy Valve controls and diverter for solar heating panels (three 4 X 10 panels on an elevated pressure treated wood rack).

New Member Intro

Postby HowardWalker » Sun 11 Apr, 2010 23:21

lbridges wrote:In my area the only viable fiberglass vendor has a very poor reputation for customer support after the sale. I know of no one that has gone the vinyl liner route - I think because we have such high ground water issues. After our last rain storm the ground water level rose to within ~3 feet of the turf.

In terms of progress, the shell/tank is in, plumbing done, waterline tile up. Remaining items are decking and equipment pad & equipment, then plaster & water.

While it's obvious there is still work to go, I have been pleasantly surprised several times by the PB crew, their work ethic, and willingness to go the extra mile.

I don't know about current technology of shotcrete pools but, as I recall, those pools required Marcite to be applied every 5 or 6 years. The other "con" was the constant leaching of alkaline from the concrete into the pool water.

I know that a number of companies specialized in the application of fiberglass to the walls of shotcrete pools.

My "Dolphin" pool was supposed to be in the ground and ready to go in 6 to 8 weeks...I should have realized that was a pipe dream. It took most of the summer. I should have insisted on a performance clause in the contract.

I thought I was being smart by upgrading my filtration system to a Hayward EC-65 DE filter system. By the 2nd year of operation I was field stripping and cleaning the grids about once a week. 15 bolts to remove in the cover, to access the grids. Last year I dismantled the DE and went back to the pleated cartridge.
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

New Member Intro

Postby czechmate » Thu 15 Apr, 2010 18:30

Marcite is over 25 years old type of plaster composition. The cheapest and obviously not the most durable.
For a couple of thousand more considering 16x32 diving size, there are highly durable, modern plasters available. BTW, my marcite was installed in 1984. I did replace it in 2009. So the 5-6 year life span you have mentioned is a myth. Any honest and experienced pool builder will tell you that gunite is the way to go, if you can afford it. A clear winner in every aspect, hands down. Fiberglass is just a step up from the vinyl shell.
Maintaining a Mercedes or a BMW does not come cheap, but the ride is worth it. :thumbup:

Return to “Welcome Aboard”