Contrete pool with liner question, and problem!

Introduce yourself and let us know who you are.
We are happy to have you here!
daweart
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 16 x 32 concrete inground with vinyl liner- 3ft to 8ft deep, diving board
diatematious (DE) filter

Postby daweart » Thu 05 Aug, 2010 16:42

Have moved this topic in hopes of getting a better chance of a response. Getting desperate as my contractor is now ignoring me completely!

Concrete pool 16' x 32' with liner

Shallow end is 3 ft. sloping down to 8 ft.

Two questions I hope someone out there can answer.

1. How tight should my liner fit? ie., All concrete vertical wall corners as well as the the the bottom-to wall corners are 90 degrees?

2. Just below the skimmer my liner has some large wrinkles. There are also some small ones at the two "eyeball' inlets. How can I "remove" the wrinkles?

floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Postby floridapooltech » Thu 05 Aug, 2010 22:30

daweart wrote:Have moved this topic in hopes of getting a better chance of a response. Getting desperate as my contractor is now ignoring me completely!

Concrete pool 16' x 32' with liner

Shallow end is 3 ft. sloping down to 8 ft.

Two questions I hope someone out there can answer.

1. How tight should my liner fit? ie., All concrete vertical wall corners as well as the the the bottom-to wall corners are 90 degrees?

2. Just below the skimmer my liner has some large wrinkles. There are also some small ones at the two "eyeball' inlets. How can I "remove" the wrinkles?

1. First off, the bottom walls should not be 90º but rather a gentle slope so you can brush the walls and floor, the debris would slope toward the drains and to accomodate cleaning. If your walls are truly this angle, this will cause problems to start with as algae and debris will begin to accumulate at the corners which will be impossible to clean from outside the pool.

2. Those wrinkles do not belong there either. He needs to come out, take the coping out, fill any voids, and fix these issues. Since you just had it done and he has to pay for this out of his own labor and money, this is probably why he doesn't want to fix this. Was he insured and bonded? You may need to contact a few agency's to handle this issue as well as take him to court if he truly is ignoring you or refusing to correct HIS mistakes. Just remember this needs to be done in a speedy time frame as there may be limitations in your area.

I am sorry to hear about the work this "company" has performed. Hopefully you will have this issue fixed without any further problems from this contractor!
daweart
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 16 x 32 concrete inground with vinyl liner- 3ft to 8ft deep, diving board
diatematious (DE) filter

Postby daweart » Fri 13 Aug, 2010 16:54

Swimnsaveusa

Have been away and just getting caught up with things. Thanks for your reply

Thanks for your good information. I will be going back to my pool contractor.
So I can sound like I know what I am talking about, could you tell me what dthe wrinkles in my liner around the skimmer and inlet eyeballs. You told me what needs to be done, but it would be advantageous if I could tell my contractor why those wrinkles are there.

Art
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby floridapooltech » Fri 13 Aug, 2010 16:59

daweart wrote:Swimnsaveusa

Have been away and just getting caught up with things. Thanks for your reply

Thanks for your good information. I will be going back to my pool contractor.
So I can sound like I know what I am talking about, could you tell me what dthe wrinkles in my liner around the skimmer and inlet eyeballs. You told me what needs to be done, but it would be advantageous if I could tell my contractor why those wrinkles are there.

Art

I could not give you a straight answer as I am not there to actually see them, however, it can either be from the install being not tight enough, dirt could have come loose behind it and left a pocket of air, or it can be water behind the liner. Either way, their should not be any wrinkles in the liner as is should be fairly tight. I would just ask him to come out, show him the problem and see what he has to say about it. Just don't let him tell you it "belongs" there.
daweart
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
diatematious (DE) filter

Postby daweart » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 11:00

Thank you for your reply. I will try what you suggest with my contractor.
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby floridapooltech » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 11:57

daweart wrote:Thank you for your reply. I will try what you suggest with my contractor.

Be careful not to be too aggressive with him because that will usually get someone to take the defensive and do nothing for you :thumbup:
daweart
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
diatematious (DE) filter

Postby daweart » Fri 20 Aug, 2010 14:12

Again, Thanks for your very helpful information and suggestions on how to handle this contractor.
You made a very interesting comment about "the bottom walls should not be 90 degrees but rather a gentle slope". What is a gentle slope? ...For example, where my walls meet the bottom I can EASILY fit a basketball into the slope ie., it is much larger than in my previous liner. The same goes for the verticle corners!!!!

This should be my last query!

Art
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby floridapooltech » Sat 21 Aug, 2010 11:12

daweart wrote:Again, Thanks for your very helpful information and suggestions on how to handle this contractor.
You made a very interesting comment about "the bottom walls should not be 90 degrees but rather a gentle slope". What is a gentle slope? ...For example, where my walls meet the bottom I can EASILY fit a basketball into the slope ie., it is much larger than in my previous liner. The same goes for the verticle corners!!!!

This should be my last query!

Art

You should be able to take a brush, start at the top of the wall, and with one stroke brush to and accross the floor.
daweart
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
diatematious (DE) filter

Postby daweart » Sat 21 Aug, 2010 12:38

I think your last reply was for my earlier query about wrinkles around my inlets and skimmer. I've tried to brushing/pressing them out but they do not budge!

What I really want to have is more explanation about the size of my liner "coves" as you call them. You said that the liner should have a "gentle slope" from the walls to the floor to make it easier to brush.
My slope from the walls to the floor is very large. I would say you could fit a basketball into these "slopes"! I would guess a basketball is about 12 inches in diameter??
The four vertical corners of the pool also have this same shape, from top to bottom!
It has always been my opinion that these "slopes" as you call them are much too large!

There must be an industry standard on the size of what these slopes should be. Is that available?
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby floridapooltech » Sat 21 Aug, 2010 12:40

daweart wrote:I think your last reply was for my earlier query about wrinkles around my inlets and skimmer. I've tried to brushing/pressing them out but they do not budge!

What I really want to have is more explanation about the size of my liner "coves" as you call them. You said that the liner should have a "gentle slope" from the walls to the floor to make it easier to brush.
My slope from the walls to the floor is very large. I would say you could fit a basketball into these "slopes"! I would guess a basketball is about 12 inches in diameter??
The four vertical corners of the pool also have this same shape, from top to bottom!
It has always been my opinion that these "slopes" as you call them are much too large!

There must be an industry standard on the size of what these slopes should be. Is that available?

The slope is what I was referring to. You should be able to take a brush and smoothly brush down the walls and continue across the floor. The way you are explaining your pool is right now, you cannot do that without stopping?
daweart
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
diatematious (DE) filter

Postby daweart » Sat 21 Aug, 2010 17:45

Looks like i am not communicating clearly enough. I'll try to make a rough diagram with the limited keyboard characters available, and my limited knowledge of using them!

End view of 16'x32' inground concrete pool. Side view-- shallow end is 3' going down to 8' deep.
V v
l l l l
l l l l
l l l ____________________l
l l l /
l l l /
l_____________________l l_______________/

all four verticle corners are 90 degrees.
All horizontal bottom corners are 90 degrees.
The pool slopes from 3' deep in the shallow end to 8' deep in the deep end.
The question is: how tight should all the verticle and horizontal 90 degree corners be?
You indicated there should be some play in all directions to allow for liner stretch and for ease of brush
cleaning. Is there an industry standard to be followed when allowing for the amount of "roundness" at all 90 degree locations?
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby floridapooltech » Sat 21 Aug, 2010 17:59

daweart wrote:looks like i am not communicating clearly enough. I'll try to make a rough diagram with the limited keyboard characters available, and my limited knowledge of using them!

End view of 16'x32' inground concrete pool. Side view-- shallow end is 3' going down to 8' deep.
V v
l l l l
l l l l
l l l ____________________l
l l l /
l l l /
l_____________________l l_______________/

all four verticle corners are 90 degrees.
All horizontal bottom corners are 90 degrees.
The pool slopes from 3' deep in the shallow end to 8' deep in the deep end.
The question is: how tight should all the verticle and horizontal 90 degree corners be?
You indicated there should be some play in all directions to allow for liner stretch and for ease of brush
cleaning. Is there an industry standard to be followed when allowing for the amount of "roundness" at all 90 degree locations?

your pool walls all should have this slope.
daweart
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
diatematious (DE) filter

Postby daweart » Sat 21 Aug, 2010 18:02

I just spent over a half hour trying to "draw" a sketch and show you more information, It seems there is a timer on submitting something to this site, and everything I did when I tried to send it got wiped out. Let me try to ask my question another way so I don't run out of time.

How much play in the liner should be allowed for all 90 degree horizontal and vertical corners to be "round" when the liner is installed? This would be to allow the brush to be pushed down the sides of the pool and glide across the bottom of the pool without stopping. ie., no 90 degree areas for the brush to be stopped by. I should imagine the four vertical corners should be rounde the same way? HELP!!!
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby floridapooltech » Sat 21 Aug, 2010 18:08

daweart wrote:I just spent over a half hour trying to "draw" a sketch and show you more information, It seems there is a timer on submitting something to this site, and everything I did when I tried to send it got wiped out. Let me try to ask my question another way so I don't run out of time.

How much play in the liner should be allowed for all 90 degree horizontal and vertical corners to be "round" when the liner is installed? This would be to allow the brush to be pushed down the sides of the pool and glide across the bottom of the pool without stopping. ie., no 90 degree areas for the brush to be stopped by. I should imagine the four vertical corners should be rounde the same way? HELP!!!

I got your diagram. the liner should be fairly taught. The slope I showed you in my diagram is what you should expect on all in-ground pools. Yes, the 4 corners should all be rounded also.
daweart
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
diatematious (DE) filter

Postby daweart » Sun 22 Aug, 2010 11:58

So, with my corners all being rounded to at least the size of a basketball, are they much too large? Can this create a problem? Is there a "standard" size fit...eg., 1 inch, 2 inch, or..... ???
Sorry if I seem to be a P.I.T.A. but I'm trying to get firm information that is usable, for when I next meet with my contractor. I will not be telling him my source of information. I would not do that unless you gave the OK. Your information is too valuable a source to risk losing it.

Return to “Welcome Aboard”