Contrete pool with liner question, and problem!

Introduce yourself and let us know who you are.
We are happy to have you here!
daweart
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 16 x 32 concrete inground with vinyl liner- 3ft to 8ft deep, diving board
diatematious (DE) filter

Postby daweart » Sat 21 Aug, 2010 17:45

Looks like i am not communicating clearly enough. I'll try to make a rough diagram with the limited keyboard characters available, and my limited knowledge of using them!

End view of 16'x32' inground concrete pool. Side view-- shallow end is 3' going down to 8' deep.
V v
l l l l
l l l l
l l l ____________________l
l l l /
l l l /
l_____________________l l_______________/

all four verticle corners are 90 degrees.
All horizontal bottom corners are 90 degrees.
The pool slopes from 3' deep in the shallow end to 8' deep in the deep end.
The question is: how tight should all the verticle and horizontal 90 degree corners be?
You indicated there should be some play in all directions to allow for liner stretch and for ease of brush
cleaning. Is there an industry standard to be followed when allowing for the amount of "roundness" at all 90 degree locations?

floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Postby floridapooltech » Sat 21 Aug, 2010 17:59

daweart wrote:looks like i am not communicating clearly enough. I'll try to make a rough diagram with the limited keyboard characters available, and my limited knowledge of using them!

End view of 16'x32' inground concrete pool. Side view-- shallow end is 3' going down to 8' deep.
V v
l l l l
l l l l
l l l ____________________l
l l l /
l l l /
l_____________________l l_______________/

all four verticle corners are 90 degrees.
All horizontal bottom corners are 90 degrees.
The pool slopes from 3' deep in the shallow end to 8' deep in the deep end.
The question is: how tight should all the verticle and horizontal 90 degree corners be?
You indicated there should be some play in all directions to allow for liner stretch and for ease of brush
cleaning. Is there an industry standard to be followed when allowing for the amount of "roundness" at all 90 degree locations?

your pool walls all should have this slope.
daweart
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 16 x 32 concrete inground with vinyl liner- 3ft to 8ft deep, diving board
diatematious (DE) filter

Postby daweart » Sat 21 Aug, 2010 18:02

I just spent over a half hour trying to "draw" a sketch and show you more information, It seems there is a timer on submitting something to this site, and everything I did when I tried to send it got wiped out. Let me try to ask my question another way so I don't run out of time.

How much play in the liner should be allowed for all 90 degree horizontal and vertical corners to be "round" when the liner is installed? This would be to allow the brush to be pushed down the sides of the pool and glide across the bottom of the pool without stopping. ie., no 90 degree areas for the brush to be stopped by. I should imagine the four vertical corners should be rounde the same way? HELP!!!
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby floridapooltech » Sat 21 Aug, 2010 18:08

daweart wrote:I just spent over a half hour trying to "draw" a sketch and show you more information, It seems there is a timer on submitting something to this site, and everything I did when I tried to send it got wiped out. Let me try to ask my question another way so I don't run out of time.

How much play in the liner should be allowed for all 90 degree horizontal and vertical corners to be "round" when the liner is installed? This would be to allow the brush to be pushed down the sides of the pool and glide across the bottom of the pool without stopping. ie., no 90 degree areas for the brush to be stopped by. I should imagine the four vertical corners should be rounde the same way? HELP!!!

I got your diagram. the liner should be fairly taught. The slope I showed you in my diagram is what you should expect on all in-ground pools. Yes, the 4 corners should all be rounded also.
daweart
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
diatematious (DE) filter

Postby daweart » Sun 22 Aug, 2010 11:58

So, with my corners all being rounded to at least the size of a basketball, are they much too large? Can this create a problem? Is there a "standard" size fit...eg., 1 inch, 2 inch, or..... ???
Sorry if I seem to be a P.I.T.A. but I'm trying to get firm information that is usable, for when I next meet with my contractor. I will not be telling him my source of information. I would not do that unless you gave the OK. Your information is too valuable a source to risk losing it.
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby floridapooltech » Sun 22 Aug, 2010 12:01

daweart wrote:So, with my corners all being rounded to at least the size of a basketball, are they much too large? Can this create a problem? Is there a "standard" size fit...eg., 1 inch, 2 inch, or..... ???
Sorry if I seem to be a P.I.T.A. but I'm trying to get firm information that is usable, for when I next meet with my contractor. I will not be telling him my source of information. I would not do that unless you gave the OK. Your information is too valuable a source to risk losing it.

I'm not too sure there is a "standard", however, it would be common sense on their part to have a slope in place for the simple reason of cleaning.
daweart
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
diatematious (DE) filter

Postby daweart » Mon 23 Aug, 2010 20:22

I agree, but don't you think a radius of 6 to 8 inches is rather large? As I said, a basketball can easily fit into all the "corners' (horizontal , vertical and bottom) What size slopes, as you call them, (I think of them as radius) do YOU allow for?
With the liner at the corners and bottom so far away from the concrete they flex a great deal just from the water movement. How much would it take for a toe, in a kicking motion, would it take for a hole to be
kicked through the liner? This curve (_ _ gives a rough example of what the liner looks like when you see it from one end of the pool along the_ bottom, or from the top of each corner looking down into the pool!
I'm sure you think of me as sounding like a broken record, but all I am looking for is whatever the "standard" curve radius is recommended for liners in verticle and horizontal 90 degree corners in a concrete pool! Couldn't one of your liner suppliers answer this question?
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby floridapooltech » Mon 23 Aug, 2010 20:29

daweart wrote:I agree, but don't you think a radius of 6 to 8 inches is rather large? As I said, a basketball can easily fit into all the "corners' (horizontal , vertical and bottom) What size slopes, as you call them, (I think of them as radius) do YOU allow for?
With the liner at the corners and bottom so far away from the concrete they flex a great deal just from the water movement. How much would it take for a toe, in a kicking motion, would it take for a hole to be
kicked through the liner? This curve (_ _ gives a rough example of what the liner looks like when you see it from one end of the pool along the_ bottom, or from the top of each corner looking down into the pool!
I'm sure you think of me as sounding like a broken record, but all I am looking for is whatever the "standard" curve radius is recommended for liners in verticle and horizontal 90 degree corners in a concrete pool! Couldn't one of your liner suppliers answer this question?

We actually don't have any vinyl liner suppliers as they quit doing this down here in FL a few years ago. That is more of a Northern pool design. However, I can ask a pool builder what he thinks of your design.
daweart
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
diatematious (DE) filter

Postby daweart » Tue 24 Aug, 2010 10:51

If you can do that I would really appreciate it!
daweart
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
diatematious (DE) filter

Postby daweart » Thu 16 Sep, 2010 19:34

I have large wrinkles just below my skimmer and smaller wrinkles around my two eyeball inlets. How can they be rctified?

Return to “Welcome Aboard”