Pump prime problems

Problems relating to the Pool Help Forum website and general forum help.
Suggestions and criticisms that would improve your web experience.
cazsu42
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Plunge pool with pump and sand filter

Pump prime problems

Postby cazsu42 » Sat 19 Sep, 2020 08:35

So I have a plunge pool with a pool house in ground which has a pump and sand filter.
In last few months we have had a few occasions when the pump won’t prime and have had to bled the air from the top of the sand filter and then the pump has ran fine.
Two weeks ago the pump wouldn’t prime, after taking some professional advice and investigation we believed the problem was the pump (not being* powerful enough) to draw the water the distance from the pool to the pump itself which is some metres and two steps up from pool level. Many things pointed to it being the pump.
The pump runs perfect as was tested before and now in place will not prime. With the help of a hose and filling* the pipe with water at the skimmer back to the pump it will prime and runs fine, however once turned off it will not prime again and when turned off the water drains from the pump basket, back down the pipes. So it appears it is losing pressure somewhere. The pipes from the skimmer back to the pump house have been replaced new as well as the skimmer earlier this year. The suction at the skimmer would pull your hand off but when you connect a vacuuming hose even now with the new pump there is no suction. We are not losing any water when the pool is not running as it has been unused for a week in reasonably warm weather. At a loss.........

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Pump prime problems

Postby Denniswiseman » Sat 19 Sep, 2020 16:40

Fit a non return valve between the skimmer and pump
Once fitted, fill the pump basket and you should be OK
Don't change your pump yet

Return to “Problems & Suggestions for this Forum”