Baquacil conversion with percarbonate

Baquacil, SoftSwim, Revacil, Splashes, Poly Clear. Using these
non-chlorine products and converting from biguanides back to chlorine.
seacork
I'm new here
I'm new here

Baquacil conversion with percarbonate

Postby seacork » Sat 31 May, 2008 08:46

In a prior post (a few years ago) I read that percarbonate and chlorine are not compatible at high concentrations because they react with each other and effectively cancel each other out. I added 6 lbs of sodium percarbonate on Tuesday (4 days ago) and ran filter since. Test strip too hard to read and pool store says my baquacil oxidizer is at 70 and baquacil shock is at 5. They seemed clueless anyway.

Which needs to be at zero before bleach can be added baqua shock or baqua oxidizer? Also, I have another 2 lbs of percarbonate left. If I add it will it hasten the oxidation of the biguanide or be too much percarbonate? How do I know when the percarbonate is at a low enough level to start adding chlorine? Will continuing to filter reduce the biguanide without any addititional percarbonate?

I realize this is alot of questions but I am into this conversion and am determined to make it happen. I just need help, advice or moral support from those who know more.

15 x 30 oval above ground, sand filter, ph=8.0+, TA=120, water cloudy but can see bottom

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Sat 31 May, 2008 12:15

Basically, if you are using percarbonate to get rid of your Baquacil, then keep using it until the Baqua readings are zero. Then, adding chlorine will use up the percarbonate and at some point you'll start to get Free Chlorine (FC) readings when the percarbonate is all used up. In essence, you use the percarbonate to get rid of Baquacil and you use chlorine to get rid of any excess percarbonate.
seacork
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby seacork » Sat 31 May, 2008 17:15

Is it the baquacil shock (currently at 5) or baquacil oxidizer (currently at 70) that needs to be at zero?

Return to “Baquacil, Biguanides and PHMB”