Baquacil vs chlorine

Baquacil, SoftSwim, Revacil, Splashes, Poly Clear. Using these
non-chlorine products and converting from biguanides back to chlorine.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Baquacil vs chlorine

Postby chem geek » Fri 16 Sep, 2011 02:11

You can minimize chlorine damage to hair by having the active level be lower. Are the experiences you describe with damaged hair after swimming in commercial/public pools, especially indoor pools? If so, then that is because they typically have 10-20 times the active chlorine level of an outdoor residential pool. This is because they do not use Cyanuric Acid (CYA) aka stabilizer or conditioner in the water. CYA acts as a chlorine buffer and makes the active chlorine level much, much lower. If you have a pool where the Free Chlorine (FC) level is around 10% of the CYA level, then the active chlorine level is roughly the same as a pool with an FC of only 0.1 ppm with no CYA.

So first and foremost would be to use CYA in your pool. Then maintain the FC at around 7.5% of the CYA level if you are manually dosing the pool. That's a starting point. If you want to go lower than this level of chlorine, then that will cost you more as you would then need to use supplemental algaecide and/or phosphate remover. You could add 50 ppm Borates to the pool, use Polyquat 60 weekly and/or use a phosphate remover. All of these should inhibit algae growth and probably let you have your FC be around 2-3% of the CYA level. Do NOT use a copper-based algaecide -- it can turn those with blonde hair greenish and can also cause metal staining, especially in plaster pools. See the Pool School for more information on how to maintain your pool.

You can also use shampoos that help to remove or neutralize chlorine in hair. I describe some that my wife uses in this post.

nucchik

Baquacil vs chlorine

Postby nucchik » Sat 24 Sep, 2011 17:01

I have developed a sensitivity to chlorine. Does anyone have any suggestions other than switching to Baquacil? I have an above ground pool.

Baquacil vs chlorine

Postby Guest » Thu 10 May, 2012 07:26

I have used Baquacil for the past 8-9 years. Loved it up until the couple of years. It is harder and harder to get the water clear. I test my water at least once a week, but kept getting this pink slime (think it was water mold), nothing works to rid it ! The dealer also told me to switch back to chlorine. This year, I drained the pool, and am seriouly considering going back to Chlorine. Baqaucil is more expensive for sure.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Baquacil vs chlorine

Postby chem geek » Tue 15 May, 2012 17:00

So you've really developed a sensitivity to chlorine? So you are now unable to take a bath or shower in your home because of the chlorinated water (or is it chloraminated or do you have filters removing the chlorine or chloramine)? Odds are that you aren't sensitive to chlorine but that your pool may not be managed properly (CYA level may be too high or FC too low) or that you are sensitive to some other chemical you may be adding to your pool (such as non-chlorine shock or algicide or clarifier).
Wendyjjj

Baquacil vs chlorine

Postby Wendyjjj » Thu 16 Aug, 2012 10:14

We put in a pool last year used chlorine and me and my daughters kept getting ear infection. Years ago when my older daughter was little we had a pool and switch to Baquacil for that reason. Please note last year I kept my chlorine levels real low because of this. We switched to Baquacil this year and have not had any ear infections but have green algae now and cannot get rid of it. Our pool guy told us to go with the IN THE SWIM products as they were more resonable. We us their version called splash and it is much more affordable.
donilda

Baquacil vs chlorine

Postby donilda » Thu 18 Jul, 2013 20:08

I have used Bacquacil before and it is good for skin and allergies, as well as not damaging swim suits. However, after a period of time, the sand in the filter will clog and have to be changed out. Not sure why that happens but heard that from a lot of users. I have salt water now, and would never go back to anything else.
Policecarsam

Baquacil vs chlorine

Postby Policecarsam » Tue 23 Jul, 2013 11:30

I have been using Baquacil for the last 10 years or so. I have found the key is to buy the Hydrogen Peroxide oxidizer (shock) at a chemical supply house in a 55-gal drum. I use the 50% concentration in lieu of the 27% strength Baqua Shock. It is much lower in cost per gallon, plus it's almost twioce the strength, so I use about half the recommended gallon-dosage as Baqua Shock. I agree with anohter commenter that the mfr suggests too high a level of Baquacil Sanitizer for effective water treatment. That may be the reason some get weird byproducts in their water. Keep the sanitizer at a moderate level, use a good copper-based 90-day algicide (about 11.8% copper) available many places, like Menard's, etc...), and a gallon of 50% hydrogen peroxide monthly or perhaps weekly in fractional doses. I have fabulous water, no burning eyes from chlorine, and easy ph-neutral water management. Use rubber gloves when you pump the peroxide into a 5-gal. bucket. It does whiten your hands if you touch it. It can even burn a bit if you don't wash it off right away. The Baquacil product is a very good and effective product. People who have problems are not trying very hard to figure it out.
Kiwi Blue

Baquacil vs chlorine

Postby Kiwi Blue » Sun 28 Jul, 2013 00:40

I have used Baquacil for over 35 years and find it perfect for my needs. The pool is marble plaster and has been replastered just once since we built it.
The pool is easy to maintain and looks great, smells great and feels great. Wouldn't use anything else.
lrafford

Baquacil vs chlorine

Postby lrafford » Fri 27 Jun, 2014 12:27

I have used both Clorine & Baquacil in my 40 year old pool. I have owned the pool (16x32 inground) when I bought the house 32 years ago. I switched to Baquacil probably 20 years ago and have used it ever since. I feel it is more stable than clorine and it certainly is easier on the pool liner and any rubber material like goggles and swim fins. Another positive is you can shock the pool and go swimming in about an hour later which you can't do with clorine. I use a DE filter and a 3/4 pool pump and my pool is clear. Someone told me once that if you can flip a nickel into the deep end of the pool and read whether it is heads or tails then your pool is clear. I can read the date... I recommend Baquacil to anyone with a pool especially if they are a novice because it is much easier to maintain in my opinion.

Return to “Baquacil, Biguanides and PHMB”