Baquacil to clorine coversion help!

Baquacil, SoftSwim, Revacil, Splashes, Poly Clear. Using these
non-chlorine products and converting from biguanides back to chlorine.
nitromag57
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18ft.x52in deep doughboy, 22in. sand filter,1 1/2 pump

Postby nitromag57 » Fri 26 Jun, 2009 08:55

Hello everyone i have been reading up on the conversion and decided to take the chance when i took my sample of water in for test they said 80ppm baqa still, everthing else good, the pool was half empty when i took the sample in i filled rest of way to help dilute i then put in 1 gallon of shockcombo from walmart and pool turned whiteish mikly color instantly what did i do wrong? Or do i really need to get some higher concetration bleach for this conversion to establish 15 ppm fc? I havent seen any post where people get this white color and do i run the filter the whole time i actually changed to filter sand not knowing i might have to change it out when finished with conversion or stay on top of backwashing will rectify this haope im making sense...Any info would help me out big time.....Mike b..... The pool is 18ftx52in deep doughboy 7,800 gal

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Fri 26 Jun, 2009 11:32

See this post for what a typical conversion using chlorine looks like. You aren't done yet and need to continue to add more chlorine. I'm not sure why you've got a milky color instead of greenish. What was the 1 gallon of shockcombo? Was this chlorinating liquid (i.e. sodium hypochlorite)?

Postby Guest » Fri 26 Jun, 2009 16:19

hello chem geek thanks for your help yes it is chlorinating liquid i got from walmart i am going to get some bleach or clorine from pool store which would you use? the shock i put in is 76% water rest is sodium hypo,sodium cloride hope i didnt make matters more complicted.......mike

Postby Guest » Fri 26 Jun, 2009 16:25

chem geek i put 2 gallons of that wally stuff in pool, sorry i only said 1 gallon before seems like it might be a little more greenish maybe i guess the color isnt that far off the link pool pics you sent me to go to a view...i put test strip in water and havent had any fc show in color yet i am going to get a nice test kit real soon though.......im hoping to get some kind of color going that way i knoe fc is coming up? does this sound right to you ?....thanks mike
thepoolmom

Postby thepoolmom » Thu 09 Jul, 2009 17:39

Help...have green algae in my 24 ft round above ground pool. Just had pool installed in May. The test strips show 0 Baquacil. Can I start the conversion now? How many days does it usually take to convert? Is the chlorine uses just the regular bleach chorline you use for laundry and cleaning? I live in Texas, and we have 100 degree days (many in a row) with no clouds. Baquacil doesn't work with such high temps. Thanks for any help.
Lisainspain

Postby Lisainspain » Tue 04 Dec, 2012 11:18

help! I was told I could go straight back to chlorine once the biguanide levels were 0. My pool instantly turned green as i added liquid chlorine. It is beautifully clear but bright green! I have guesta arriving in four days and it looks terrible.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Tue 04 Dec, 2012 21:21

Using chlorine to perform a Baquacil-to-chlorine conversion DOES look ugly and goes through several different colorful phases. Read how to Convert Your Baqua Pool to Chlorine. You probably need to keep adding chlorine. At least if your Baquacil level was truly zero, it should go faster.

Return to “Baquacil, Biguanides and PHMB”