BBB method for pools

A BBB guide to supermarket poolcare.
Use store-bought bleach, baking soda
and borax to replace proprietary pool chemicals.
Larry
Pool Forums Admin
My Pool: Pool Pro
Exclusively tiled concrete pools

BBB method for pools

Postby Larry » Fri 06 Mar, 2009 03:31

Due to popular request, a forum dedicated to the use of bleach, baking soda and borax to replace more expensive swimming pool chemicals has been launched.

A more detailed explanation, guides and information will follow soon. If you can help or contribute with information, your experiences or anecdotes, please do.

Remember that these forums are free and open to all. You do NOT have to register to enjoy the benefits of reading and posting topics, and you are welcome to remain anonymous. We do encourage you to register, however, to take advantage of some added features on the forums. There will also be some special offers available to registered users of the Swimming Pool Forums (to be announced soon).

BBB method

BBB method for pools

Postby BBB method » Thu 12 Mar, 2009 05:35

I'm real excited that you have opened a forum for the B-B-B method. I have used the bbb route since 2006 and my pool is wonderful. :D

I look forward to helping the newbies out too, so don't be shy. :wink:

BBB method for pools

Postby Guest » Fri 13 Mar, 2009 20:39

Great! I'm so pleased you guys are finally catching up with the trend.

:thumbup: I expect this will be a busy place soon with spring almost sprung and all. :thumbup:
karenkay2000

BBB method for pools

Postby karenkay2000 » Tue 07 Apr, 2009 07:06

I am about to put up a 24 round pool and need all the help i can get . i need the money saving from BBB , but i need to know how much i need to put in when starting up my new pool. thanks for any help . karen :problem: :problem:
debra4444

BBB method for pools

Postby debra4444 » Sun 19 Apr, 2009 21:50

I am getting ready to open my 24 round pool and would like to know the formula for the BBB. How much to use and so forth. Any help would be appreciated. Debra
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

BBB method for pools

Postby chem geek » Sun 19 Apr, 2009 22:01

Until a detailed guide is posted in this forum, look at the Pool School for the info that you need.
silverscot

BBB method for pools

Postby silverscot » Mon 27 Apr, 2009 12:29

BBB method wrote:I'm real excited that you have opened a forum for the B-B-B method. I have used the bbb route since 2006 and my pool is wonderful. :D

I look forward to helping the newbies out too, so don't be shy. :wink:

I'm a newbie, we have a 27' dia. pool approx 19,000 gal it uses the aqua smart system I would like to try the BBB system.... help!
kathiestamps

BBB method for pools

Postby kathiestamps » Fri 10 Jul, 2009 15:50

I am just learning about pools and am trying the BBB method after spending way too much on chemicals. These are my readings today: chlorine 5+ (probably 8)
pH 7.8
alk 140
calc 160
CYA 60
TDS 600
OK any help would be great! We have done straight bleach for 5 days, lost count how many gallons. I also put Oxyclean in several times. The pool is still green but getting clearer. I can ALMOST see the bottom (8 ft) Thank you for helping...anyone?
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

BBB method for pools

Postby chem geek » Sun 19 Jul, 2009 02:16

It will take you a lot longer to clear the pool and a lot more chlorine to clear it if you don't get the FC high enough relative to CYA -- shock level is an FC that is 40% of the CYA level so if your 60 ppm is accurate then that's around 24 ppm FC. It sounds like you do not have a FAS-DPD chlorine test so cannot test high levels of chlorine accurately. You can dilute the pool water by 4:1 to get a better idea, but you should really get a good test kit, either the Taylor K-2006 or the TF100 from tftestkits.com (they also have just the FAS-DPD chlorine test kit if you have the rest already from a Taylor K-2005, for example).

If you don't use a high enough FC relative to CYA, then the algae is still able to grow, albeit more slowly. The key is to maintain a high FC/CYA ratio to knock out the algae completely and more quickly. 5+ doesn't mean very much. It could be 5 or 10, but unless it's closer to 24 ppm or more (again, assuming your CYA of 60 ppm is a correct number), it will take longer to clear the pool. Was this not clear in the Pool School? It refers to a chlorine/CYA chart including shock levels and also refers to appropriate test kits to purchase.

When done properly, most pools are cleared in less than a week. See this post for how a pool gets cleared of a lot of algae. If you are still seeing green and if this is algae, then you simply did not raise the FC high enough. If the green is more of a clear green and not cloudy, then you may have copper in your pool (say, from an algaecide that has copper in it which is why it is recommended NOT to use copper-based algaecides or ionizers).
jaflans

BBB method for pools

Postby jaflans » Wed 05 Aug, 2009 10:10

Hi all.

I am new to this site and just converted to the BBB method. Seems good so far. I have a couple quetions though that I cannot seem to figure out. Probably easy, but can't seem to put my finger on it. If I am using baking soda, bleach and borax, what takes care of the stabilizer and controls water hardness? I used to use calcium chloride for hardness, but according to this method we just use BBB, correct?

Thanks.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

BBB method for pools

Postby chem geek » Thu 06 Aug, 2009 22:00

BBB is an acronym started at The PoolForum for taking charge of your pool and using less expensive grocery store chemicals. It does not mean you always use just those three items. In fact, you don't use the Borax very much at all and infrequently use the baking soda. More commonly, you just use bleach and on occasion a little acid (Muriatic Acid, usually).

For Cyanuric Acid (CYA), you can either add pure CYA (aka stabilizer or conditioner) usually in a sock or stocking hanging over a return flow or in your skimmer (assuming there are alternate flows such as floor drains so the skimmer doesn't get clogged) OR you can use stabilized chlorine for a while -- Dichlor which dissolves quickly or Trichlor which dissolves slowly. You can also buy a more expensive "liquid" CYA product.

You still increase Calcium Hardness (CH), if needed, using calcium chloride, but you don't have to buy it from the pool store and can use Dow Peladow or Dowflake instead if that's less expensive.

You can also use chlorinating liquid from your pool store if it's at a decent price relative to bleach. That's what I do and I also like the fact that the pool store reuses the bottles which is even better than recycling.
Allie!
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Approx. 48,000 Gal. with a new Pentair Heater and DE Pentair Filter system.

BBB method for pools

Postby Allie! » Mon 04 Oct, 2010 16:00

Thank you for the BBB method..We are new pool people and are learning new things every day. We will try the BBB after we resolve some of the issues that are currently ongoing which are as follows:

1. We had a new Pentair heater installed this past June. We also have a Penatir DE Filter system that works great and is only a couple of years old. Our old heater was NOT energy efficient and the pilot would NOT stay on which is why we bought a brand new Pentair heater! Various service repair Technicians came out many times to resolve the many problems that the swimming pool company repeatedly caused..After resolving one issue, another issue would emerge!
2. The most recent problem is that after installing our Pentair heater, they forgot to write up a service report to install new Jandy valves. They installed one only back in June. We had to wait until 2 weeks ago, and they FINALLY installed the second Jandy valve.
3. It appears that after the repair Technicians leave, we observe another problem that they have CAUSED! (Analogy is like the Domino Effect! LOL!) The most recent problem now resulting from them installing the second Jandy valve is that our Pentair Filter is running at ZERO! Please NOTE: The Pentair DE filter needs to be running in order for our heater to heat the adjoining spa and the pool.
How should I approach this? We need pressure to do a "Back Wash" We cannot do a back wash because there is no pressure! Should we clean our filter? We have done many filter cleanings this past year, using DE and perhaps we are due for another DE cleaning of the filter? Will this increase the pressure?
What other problems contribute to a very low or ZERO pressure reading of the Filter?
Is there a chance that the Pool Technician did something wrong causing Zero pressure reading after he installed the second Jandy Valve?
Thank You!
Allie!
pool Service

BBB method for pools

Postby pool Service » Wed 20 Jul, 2011 13:08

As a pool professional pool service company I have cut down on the chemical cost for my clients and have passed the savings on to them. I discuss the method with them and let them decide whether they want "traditional" (more expensive branded chemicals) or BBB system. The response has been great, I see this as a sign of both the economy and level headed people.
azulverde
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: With pool and spa design, our goal is to give you a water element that is tranquil and enjoyable. You will be able to relax in the sun and enjoy the beautiful and functional design we create. For a pool and spa area, we focus on what really matters: how you plan to use the space.

Re: BBB method for pools

Postby azulverde » Tue 02 Jan, 2018 01:55

The BBB method means, ALL our pool’s chemical needs are taken care of by grocery store ingredients and not unnecessary, expensive pool store chemicals. Just a few weeks later, I had clearer water than we’ve ever had it.
Chunning22
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: BBB method for pools

Postby Chunning22 » Tue 30 Oct, 2018 16:40

Guest wrote:Great! I'm so pleased you guys are finally catching up with the trend.
paris taxi Airport
:thumbup: I expect this will be a busy place soon with spring almost sprung and all. :thumbup:

You"re right

Return to “BBB Pool Care”