What Water Tester

A BBB guide to supermarket poolcare.
Use store-bought bleach, baking soda
and borax to replace proprietary pool chemicals.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: What Water Tester

Postby Teapot » Tue 20 Aug, 2019 17:25

Mine are from the EU so you get the 2year warranty which you won't get from the US model.
You can use a dilution to go higher than 10 for testing.

Phil.c
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro
My Pool: 28' x 10' indoor, liner, oil heater, sand filter.

Postby Phil.c » Wed 21 Aug, 2019 03:16

I've PM'd you.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Wed 21 Aug, 2019 11:49

Denniswiseman wrote:
Phil.c wrote:He has LaMotte Color Q Pro 7 which is supposed to be the best so I'm waiting.

https://youtu.be/2_HI3RI6VqE

Looking on Ebay and Amazon it seems that they are about the same price as K2006C and they only do chlorine up to 10 and most are coming from the states
Wait and see what Teapot has

Dennis I can also get the LaMotte FAS DPD kits.
The similar kits can be got from Palintest but more money and bad customer service.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot » Wed 21 Aug, 2019 12:51

Denniswiseman wrote:
Phil.c wrote:He has LaMotte Color Q Pro 7 which is supposed to be the best so I'm waiting.

https://youtu.be/2_HI3RI6VqE

Looking on Ebay and Amazon it seems that they are about the same price as K2006C and they only do chlorine up to 10 and most are coming from the states
Wait and see what Teapot has

Dennis I can also get the LaMotte FAS DPD kits.
The similar kits can be got from Palintest but more money and bad customer service.
Phil.c
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby Phil.c » Sun 08 Sep, 2019 09:48

Having received the tester from Teapot and giving it a couple of tries I found it very easy and accurate, I would have liked a scale though so that readings could be compared to what they should be, I couldn't find one in the kit?
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 08 Sep, 2019 10:36

Phil.c wrote:Having received the tester from Teapot and giving it a couple of tries I found it very easy and accurate, I would have liked a scale though so that readings could be compared to what they should be, I couldn't find one in the kit?

There is no set parameters apart from pH which about 7.4 is fine
Your FC is dependant on your CYA level which is subject to how you chlorinate (Trichlor Dichlor)
Calcium is not that important with a liner or fibreglass pool which again will be affected by how you chlorinate (calcium hypochlorite)
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot » Sun 08 Sep, 2019 13:22

The pool industry doesn't recognise the chemical difference between concrete/tiled/plaster finished pools and liner/ glass fibre.

To try and prevent metal corrosion there is a need to make sure the water isn't corrosive. Adding salt and oxidising chemicals causes this and we mitigate the effects with calcium hardness and pH plus a bit of alkalinity. The biggest change in the calcium saturation index ( langlier saturation index) is by pH and calcium hardness.
I keep my pH stable by using lower alkalinity around 40ppm but top ups cause it to rise to about 60ppm (supply water is around 260ppm alkalinity). I use liquid chlorine un-stabilised so I don't have the issues that chlorine puck users have. Packaged chlorine are very acidic and designed to work with alkalinity around 80-120.
I haven't used any pH minus in two years!
If you have Cyanuric acid stabiliser in the pool water pH doesn't matter anywhere near as much provided it's above 7 so it doesn't hurt eyes. To make the water less aggressive to metal parts you can allow the pH to be higher up to pH8 without issue, this has come from recent research, it will be years before this becomes mainstream. I have posted about this on here before.
Phil.c
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby Phil.c » Mon 09 Sep, 2019 01:47

Thanks.

BTW, the water in my area is soft...makes a good cup of tea :)
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot » Mon 09 Sep, 2019 06:14

Phil.c wrote:Thanks.

BTW, the water in my area is soft...makes a good cup of tea :)

And makes a right mess of the pool. :lol:
You may need to add some calcium chloride to increase the hardness and run the pH a bit higher.
Phil.c
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby Phil.c » Mon 09 Sep, 2019 06:50

Have done :)

Return to “BBB Pool Care”