PH

A BBB guide to supermarket poolcare.
Use store-bought bleach, baking soda
and borax to replace proprietary pool chemicals.
debt.disappear
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

PH

Postby debt.disappear » Tue 12 Nov, 2019 08:21

Good morning pool peeps. So I recently learned that a pool with a SWG will always have PH that rises over time. I honestly had no idea about this part and have been scratching my head adding muriatic acid so often. If I am not correct in this please let me know.

Anyway, the question is this. Is there any method, product or device that would allow for regular, small doses of acid to be entered into the system? I am away a lot and my pool us fairly stable. PH is the main issue for me.

Thanks guys and gals

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: PH

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 12 Nov, 2019 09:37

You can get an acid doser but have you checked that aeration, waterfall and infinity edge all cause ph to rise
Also lowering your TA should help
debt.disappear
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby debt.disappear » Tue 12 Nov, 2019 09:41

Agree on aeration, but what do you mean by check it? I have laminars that are used about 6 hours per weekn

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 12 Nov, 2019 11:32

That would definately raise your pH
Try leaving off and see if the ph remains stable for that period of time
Otherwise you will have to continue dosing acid manually or automatically
debt.disappear
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby debt.disappear » Tue 12 Nov, 2019 11:34

Will do. Truth is I even have a spill over from spa to pool. It doesn't great significant aeration but it all counts. Thanks!

revitup
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby revitup » Mon 02 Dec, 2019 05:27

Had the same issue with rising PH until I lowered TA to the 60-80 range. It's nice and steady now, Also noted that it wants to stay around 7.6-7.8 and so stopped trying to drive it down any lower.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 02 Dec, 2019 13:59

revitup wrote:Had the same issue with rising PH until I lowered TA to the 60-80 range. It's nice and steady now, Also noted that it wants to stay around 7.6-7.8 and so stopped trying to drive it down any lower.

That makes sense accept what your pool needs and go with it
dynamictiger
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: one of them is 713,342 gallons
I look after lots and lots

Postby dynamictiger » Fri 05 Mar, 2021 17:58

I recently learned that a pool with a SWG will always have PH that rises over time

This is not true. It is a rumour at best.

It is based on something along the lines of SWG make chlorine in the form of sodium hypochlorite. Sodium hypochlorite we purchase as bleach makes the pH increase. Therefore SWG makes the pH increase.

The difference is the bleach includes a small amount of hydroxide to stabilize it and prevent it loosing strength too quickly. The pure reaction occurring in the SWG is pH neutral.

It is more likely the pH changes observed and blamed on the chlorinator are caused by other factors such as aeration and other substances making their way into the pool.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Sat 06 Mar, 2021 06:34

It is true, the off gasing of carbonates raises pH, and aeration from the chlorination conversion also raises pH.
The reason is most pools are over carbonated (high alkalinity) reduce the alkalinity and the problem goes away. I set up a test rig to prove/disprove the theory.
With alkalinity at 120 the pH would rise in a few hours and generally stop around pH 8.1. Using lower alkalinity at 40ppm the pH was stable after 48 hours of aeration.
Using a slightly higher pH on outdoor pools with CYA present reduces the calcium saturation index to a safer less aggresive level for plaster/tiled pools with no effect on sanitiser effeciency provided ratio of free chlorine relative to CYA are observed.
dynamictiger
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: one of them is 713,342 gallons
I look after lots and lots

Postby dynamictiger » Sat 06 Mar, 2021 16:20

In a fiberglass pool try running low TA and the pH wont move using a salt chlorinator.

Return to “BBB Pool Care”