Pool strainer full overnight, pump run dry

A BBB guide to supermarket poolcare.
Use store-bought bleach, baking soda
and borax to replace proprietary pool chemicals.
bigchungus12
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: above ground 30 ft round, 4.5 ft deep, chlorine, sand filter

Pool strainer full overnight, pump run dry

Postby bigchungus12 » Mon 13 Apr, 2020 11:01

Hi all, new to the forum and owning a pool, have a year old 30 ft round above grd 4.5 ft deep chlorine sand filter pool that came with my new house and was closed last year before buying, since opening this year on two occasion the strainer has became full over night with leaves and stringy pollen things from a tree close by (but not too close) causing the pump to run dry and loose prime. I have been checking and cleaning every morning to prevent this but it worries me if i ever go on vacation or miss a day if this happens again it will eventually burn up the pump? I am hoping this is just due to spring storms, wind and junk coming off trees. Any similar experiences or advice? thanks and know this is a lot of info, just being detailed.

dynamictiger
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: one of them is 713,342 gallons
I look after lots and lots

Re: Pool strainer full overnight, pump run dry

Postby dynamictiger » Thu 17 Mar, 2022 04:23

Whilst not inexpensive, there is a device called a flow switch. It would be best to install one with an inbuilt timer so can bypass its actions for prime. In the event of no flow it can switch the power off to the pump.

Not normally used domestically. You may need an industrial pump company to install this device.
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Thu 17 Mar, 2022 07:50

Alternatively buy a cover. Nuff said.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
GreenCrow1
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Inground 16 x 22, tile, Pentair Superflo, Pentair sand filter

Postby GreenCrow1 » Wed 17 Aug, 2022 15:42

I don't recommend this as a long term solution, but if your your pool has a suction outlet for a Kreepy Krauly device, I would hook it up with a clear plastic leaf catcher (like the Zodiac Cyclonic Leaf Canister) to provide a secondary source of water. Making sure that the buoyancy is correctly managed for the leaf canister is not easy, which is why I do not use it full time.

I am assuming your primary suction side water source is the skimmer. How is the bottom drain doing?

Return to “BBB Pool Care”