Are pebble tek readings different?

A BBB guide to supermarket poolcare.
Use store-bought bleach, baking soda
and borax to replace proprietary pool chemicals.
MikeinAZ
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby MikeinAZ » Wed 25 Jul, 2007 11:05

"Opening that skimmer cover is always an adventure. "

That's why my wife says she doesn't like checking the skimmer :roll: :D .

I went to the pool store and there numbers were a little off, not surprised. They gave me list of supplies to buy but I can do the same by just aerating the pool. He said my PH was low and my FC was high and my CH was also high (it's 300 and fine). I told him the FC and PH levels were that way because I was shocking the pool to get rid of my CC. He looked confused and when I asked him what my CC level was he looked further confused and said "well here is the list of chemicals that the read out is saying you need."

Well when I got home I checked my levels with my Taylor kit and my FC was 8 and my PH was 7.2 so my FC is dropping at a slower rate and my PH is right were I wanted it. I checked again this morning and my FC is 6 and the FC is still 7.2. Since my FC is now dropping at a slower rate I will aerate the pool to bring my PH back up and see how if it is going to effect my FC. If it doesn't all is well and thanks for everyones help. BTW the only reason I went to the pool store was I had to reorder some re-agents, I may have enough for one more FC check and my supplies should start filtering in today. :D
Mike

"What Is Popular Is Not Always Right; What Is Right Is Not Always Popular"
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Wed 25 Jul, 2007 12:29

Congratulations on taking charge of your pool! Don't feel too bad for the pool store guys. Some aren't trained very well and those that are are taught from materials from the manufacturers or use their test equipment and procedures (automated "suggestion" printouts). I've tried to work with some manufacturers to improve this situation, but they don't seem very willing to cooperate. Not a surprise there, but I still thought it worth an effort. I can't even get them to agree that there is a relationship between chlorine and CYA. They acknowledge the science behind it, but say it doesn't apply in "real pools" and point to a study to back them up (I discuss this in this thread on The Pool Forum).

Return to “BBB Pool Care”