BBB Method - SWG - New Owner Advice Needed

A BBB guide to supermarket poolcare.
Use store-bought bleach, baking soda
and borax to replace proprietary pool chemicals.
gtr1721
I'm new here
I'm new here

BBB Method - SWG - New Owner Advice Needed

Postby gtr1721 » Fri 30 May, 2008 10:19

I am new to the forum and a new pool owner - this site has been outstanding!!! The pool company that was recomended to us completely messed up our pool from day one! I am just now taking matters into my own hands and getting things turned around - we had major scaling when the pool was opened this year - it is a SWG - plaster pool - 28,000g installed last August and they did an acid wash late last season before closing the pool - When they took the cover off first week of May we had heavy scaling all over so I have been brushing like crazy and keeping on top of the PH with acid and areation - with some warmer water temps (72 to 75 currently) I have about 95% of the scaling removed at this point and want to get everything else to fall in line - my Taylor test kit that Chemgeek suggested should be here today - Some questions I need help with:

1. I added some Bleach to help get my FC levels up as they have been low since the start of the season - it worked but I noticed my salt level spiked some the next AM (3200 to 3300) - did adding the bleach have that effect? Do I need to continue adding bleach daily while using the SWG system or just after heavy sun and use certain days?

2. Super Chlorinator - What is the most effective way to utilize that feature? I ran it for several hours for a few days in a row and it seemed to not have any effect in raising my FC levels - I assume my scaling/ PH problem could have contributed?

3. The remote has the Pool Chlorination level set to 80% and the Spa to 6% - are those the correct levels?

4. If my salt level is at 3300 now how long will it take to come down to say 2800 or 3000? I have read in some places that salt levels can be 2000 but not sure how that will effect my SWG system and it's efficency.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks to the contributors for educating me to this point!

Return to “BBB Pool Care”