first things first

A BBB guide to supermarket poolcare.
Use store-bought bleach, baking soda
and borax to replace proprietary pool chemicals.
Andra

first things first

Postby Andra » Thu 17 Jul, 2008 10:49

I thought I sent this but didn't see it, so if I double post I apologize ahead of time. Hello everyone, have been reading this forum for several days and have learned alot. I think. I am opening my pool late this year because my work schedule has just now slowed down enough for me to be able to have the time to maintain my pool. Takes alot of work until you get the hang of it, learned this last year when I didn't have time to properly care for it and it looked terrible all summer. Anyways long story short, when I finally get all of the water of the tarp and refill, do I need to let the water circulate for a certain amount of time before I check my levels? I will be posting these, or try the calculator when I get to that point but my next question is do you have to put the chemicals into the pool in a certain order? By the way, I want to use the BBB method. I read ina post that
3-4 oz of clorox for every 500 gallons of water. I am assuming this amount is what is added to maintain your levels? I realize that I need to keep the chlorine levels high until my water clears up and then stabalize.
I am sure I will have many questions and you all have been so wonderful to take the time to help all of us newbies out. Thanks again

muss08
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

BBB method for pool care

Postby muss08 » Thu 17 Jul, 2008 16:50

I'd let your pool run overnight then check the levels in the morning but go ahead and add some chlorine so the algae monster doesnt start attacking the pool, plus you'll probably already have a bit of algae in there anyways. You can add chlorine and stabalizer at the same time. No worries there. You want to get the stabalizer in their asap so you dont lose to much chlorine, dont wait until the water clears up. Yes, bleach is fine- as is baking soda and borax (BBB). These arent the only chemicals you use but the borax really helps to keep the pH inline. After you test your water the first thing you want to get inline is your TA. Adjust it up (baking soda) or down (muriatic acid). Once that is good (80-120ppm) adjust your pH (7.2-7.6). Use muriatic to lower and aeration to raise it. You want your stabalizer at 30-60ppm or 60-80ppm if you have a SWG. When you test your water post your numbers and how many gallons your pool is and we can go from there.
APSP Certified Service Pro
Jandy Tech School
Pentair Tech Training
Raypak Heater School
5 yrs experience

Return to “BBB Pool Care”