Want to try BBB but not sure what to do!

A BBB guide to supermarket poolcare.
Use store-bought bleach, baking soda
and borax to replace proprietary pool chemicals.
PoolPro

Postby PoolPro » Mon 14 Sep, 2009 23:21

You do not know what you're talking about. What is "Calcium Hypochloride"? What is "2ppm of AC"?

If the pool is already cloudy, the last thing you need to do is cloud it up more with a lot of calcium hypochlorite. Calcium hypochlorite does not dissolve well under good circumstances; it certainly will not dissolve well when you begin chucking it in by the bucketful.

Liquid chlorine or bleach is a much better choice. It will not take a pallet of bleach.

Also, your car analogy is worthless and meaningless.

PoolPro

Postby PoolPro » Mon 14 Sep, 2009 23:38

czechmate wrote:But it's computer will retard the combustion process

It's not the combustion process that's being retarded.
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

Postby czechmate » Tue 15 Sep, 2009 08:26

Of course I do not know what I am talking about.
I am deeply sorry for hurting your ego, Mr. Professional Pool Man!
Question: Are you the missing pool man???
samanthathepoolchick
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby samanthathepoolchick » Tue 22 Sep, 2009 13:13

PoolPro wrote:samanthathepoolchick does not know what she is talking about. I recommend that everyone ignore her advice.

Don't be concerned about phosphates. Liquid chlorine is a better source of chlorine than calcium hypochlorite. Calcium hypochlorite contains other elements, besides just calcium hypochlorite, that do increase the pH, such as Calcium hydroxide and calcium carbonate.

I did not come to this forum to be insulted just to help people as best as i can and to tell everyone to ignore my advice? I would like to know what qualifications POOLPRO has in water chemistry or in the industry at all???
PoolPro

Postby PoolPro » Tue 22 Sep, 2009 21:38

samanthathepoolchick wrote:The BBB method is no good.

and

I did not come to this forum to be insulted

I am not insulting you any more than you are insulting the BBB method and everyone who believes in it. The BBB method is used successfully by many people. I doubt that you even understand it. I have every right to defend it and the people who believe in it.

I don't mean to insult you; however, if I think that your advice is no good, then I have every right to say so. It's called peer review, and it's a legitimate process of quality control. I am sure that I know much more about chemistry than you ever will.

You think that you get to challenge and criticize someone else's advice but no one can challenge or criticize yours? That's not how it works. If you want to publish on a public board then you have to accept the commentary that might come as a result.

You are the typical pool industry stooge who just parrots the big chemical industry nonsense to sell a bunch of over-priced, but useless, chemicals. Most of the pools that you take care of are probably green despite you adding tons of algaecide, floc, clarifier and phosphate remover. You use too much trichlor and cal-hypo, which causes your customer's cyanuric acid and calcium levels to go sky high.

samanthathepoolchick wrote:I will start with why you should not use Bleach it has a PH of 13, right now your PH is good. You will need to Shock though i would give you a calcium hypochlorite shock one pound per ten thousand gallons.

You advice to avoid bleach due to its having "a pH of 13", proves that you do not understand the chemistry involved. It is further proved by you then advising the use of calcium hypochlorite, which has the same effect on pH as bleach would

samanthathepoolchick wrote:Have the pool store also check your phosphates this could also play a role in the green.

More bad information. When your customer's pools turn green, you probably use every excuse in the book. Filter sand needs to be changed, high phosphates, needs algaecide, blah, blah, blah.

samanthathepoolchick wrote: I would like to know what qualifications POOLPRO has in water chemistry or in the industry at all???

What qualifications do you have? I can say anything I want and so can you. I judge people by the intelligence of what they write, their ability to support what they say, their logic etc. I can tell who knows what they're talking about and who's full of crap.

Bottom line: Give good advice and no one will have to challenge you. If you legitimately think that someone is giving bad advice, then it's your duty to say something. My opinion is that your advice is no good.

P.S FYI: Just because a couple of your paper route customers pay you an extra $10.00 a month to scoop leaves out of their pool does not qualify you as a service tech.

Return to “BBB Pool Care”