Slightly Slimey

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
Laurie81647

Slightly Slimey

Postby Laurie81647 » Tue 21 Jul, 2009 18:35

Hello... we are new pool owners, and new to this site. We've only had our round 14x42 above ground pool for 3 weeks. We've filled it up again, for the second time, after having friends over two weekends ago. The amount of sunscreen really clouded up the pool. I have been putting chlorine tabs in a floating thing and am about to put more in as they are "melting" today. Refilling it helped, but not enough.

I got in the pool today, and noticed the bottom and sides are slick. Slimey almost... I have some shock
treatment - and am not sure how much of this I need to put in. I was in over this last weekend, and it wasn't like this. Today, I couldn't walk in the pool without slipping. It seems very minimal at this time so I want to clear it up ASAP.

My question is: how much shock powder does a person add to 3300-3700 gallons of water ?

Thanks much for the help. I want to master this and will eventually purchase a larger pool in the future.

RMS1
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Slightly Slimey

Postby RMS1 » Mon 17 Aug, 2009 22:37

Slimy is the cause of not enough chlorine. Be sure to keep your level between 1.5-3.5 and cyanuric acid between 50-70.

Shock on when needed, if the chloramines are .6 or over.

Go to:

http://www.clean-pool-and-spa.com/swimm ... orine.html
http://www.clean-pool-and-spa.com

for info and charts about chlorine and shocking.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Slightly Slimey

Postby chem geek » Mon 17 Aug, 2009 23:56

In a manually dosed pool if you don't maintain a minimum Free Chlorine (FC) level of at least 7.5% of the Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level, then your pool can get algae growth. It has nothing to do with independent ranges of FC and CYA, but is rather the FC/CYA ratio that is important. For saltwater chlorine generator (SWG) pools, the minimum FC is 4.5% of the CYA level. All of this assumes no supplemental algaecide and generally no need for regular shocking. See the Pool School for more information.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”