Pool Algae Problem Support - READ FIRST

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
Larry
Pool Forums Admin
My Pool: Pool Pro
Exclusively tiled concrete pools

Postby Larry » Sun 01 Mar, 2009 16:50

In order to help us provide you with more accurate and quicker help for your pool algae problems, we suggest that you include as much of the following information as possible in your support requests:

• Problem: The algae problem and when / how it started
  • FC: free chlorine level
  • TC: total chlorine level
  • pH:
  • TA: total alkalinity level
  • CH: calcium hardness level
  • CYA: cyanuric acid level (stabilizer / conditioner)
  • My pool: type, size, surface
  • Pool chemicals: the chemicals you use for pool maintenance (chlorine, bromine, ...)
  • My pump & filter:
  • Other info: water temp, bather load, abnormal weather or environmental factors

Depending on the problem, the type and size of pool, the pool surface, the pool pump and the filter details may be required. The more details you provide, the better your chances for a quick answer (and quick fix).

You can copy this template and paste it into your support request to make your pool algae problem reporting easier:

Code: Select all

[b]Problem[/b]:

[b]FC[/b]:
[b]TC[/b]:
[b]pH[/b]:
[b]TA[/b]:
[b]CH[/b]:
[b]CYA[/b]:

[b]My pool[/b]:
[b]Pool chemicals[/b]:
[b]My pump & filter[/b]:
[b]Other info[/b]: 

And PLEASE use a descriptive title for your support request

Thanks
Larry

silknsatin

Postby silknsatin » Wed 01 Jul, 2009 10:33

Larry wrote:In order to help us provide you with more accurate and quicker help for your pool algae problems, we suggest that you include as much of the following information as possible in your support requests:
Grass seed got in my pool. How do I clear my pool up now? Its green and cloudy
  • Problem: The algae problem and when / how it started
  • FC: free chlorine level
  • TC: total chlorine level
  • pH:
  • TA: total alkalinity level
  • CH: calcium hardness level
  • CYA: cyanuric acid level (stabilizer / conditioner)
  • My pool: type, size, surface
  • Pool chemicals: the chemicals you use for pool maintenance (chlorine, bromine, ...)
  • My pump & filter:
  • Other info: water temp, bather load, abnormal weather or environmental factors

Depending on the problem, the type and size of pool, the pool surface, the pool pump and the filter details may be required. The more details you provide, the better your chances for a quick answer (and quick fix).

You can copy this template and paste it into your support request to make your pool algae problem reporting easier:

Code: Select all

[b]Problem[/b]:

[b]FC[/b]:
[b]TC[/b]:
[b]pH[/b]:
[b]TA[/b]:
[b]CH[/b]:
[b]CYA[/b]:

[b]My pool[/b]:
[b]Pool chemicals[/b]:
[b]My pump & filter[/b]:
[b]Other info[/b]: 

And PLEASE use a descriptive title for your support request

Thanks
Larry
shamoons

Postby shamoons » Thu 09 Jul, 2009 19:43

HI I
ALL MY CHEMICALS WERE WITH IN NORMAL LIMUTS. I HAVE A 20X40 POOL THAT WE HAVE JUST FRESHLY PAINTED WITH EPOXY. We have had a lot of rain. WE started to see black spots on the bottom & sides og the pool. I put in Copper algicide. which did nothing. My water is clear. I have incresed the chlorine level to try & get rid of the black Algie. I believe as I had this problem once before. Please give me some advice as I don;t know what else to do. I did use a tri -chlor tablet & scrubed the spots that I could reach. With effort I was able to get some of it off. ANy help would be appreviated. Thanks Mary Ann
sjk2317

Postby sjk2317 » Sat 25 Jul, 2009 15:37

help ! I changed over my salt system from a pool ex to a hayward salt system and have nothing but high salt levels and a algee filled pool !!!!!!!!!!! I have dumped half the water as recommended to get the salt level down and it has only gotten worse . What can I do .? I have read that using bleach will help and acid but I don't know how or what to do ? Any suggestions will help ?
MarleneG
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: aabove ground 18 ft round sand filter

Postby MarleneG » Sun 26 Jul, 2009 09:42

Problem: My pool water is light green and cloudy. Due to cold weather we have had the solar cover on the pool but have not used it in weeks. When I removed the cover on Friday, I discovered green water. I shocked it, added algacide, ph increaser and while the color is better, it's still light green and cloudy. Next step? The hardness was 100. I used test strips with water taken from about a foot under the surface, about 2 feet from the wall.

FC: 2/4
TC:
pH: 7.0
TA: 80
CH:
CYA: 0

My pool: 18 ft above ground round
Pool chemicals: Chlorine
My pump & filter: sand
Other info:
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Sun 26 Jul, 2009 11:00

Shocking is not a process of just throwing some chlorine in and stopping. You need to MAINTAIN a high chlorine level while running the pump 24/7, brushing frequently, and cleaning/backwashing the filter when the pressure rises significantly. You need a good FAS-DPD chlorine test kit to measure the higher shock-levels of chlorine accurately and the shock level itself (i.e. the Free Chlorine, FC) is a function of the Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level. Read Defeating Algae.

Postby Guest » Fri 18 Sep, 2009 17:44

Hiklear Algicide, its a highly sophisticated Copper/Triethanolamine complex algicide used for the effective elimination and control of algae of all types, in swimming pool water. poolspachemicals uk
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Sat 19 Sep, 2009 02:06

Copper ions can stain pool surfaces, fingernails, and give a greenish tint to blond hair. The levels at which copper is an effective algaecide are close to the levels at which it will stain unless the pH is kept low. If the copper levels get too high or the pH gets too high, staining can occur. Do you tell your customers that?
perplexed

Postby perplexed » Thu 01 Oct, 2009 15:51

Problem: I changed the pool water and the sand in the filter at the beginning of the swim season last year 2008. I changed them both out because our pool was starting to turn green on a regular basis even though the chemicals were balanced. I briefly used a pool service last summer (2008) that used chlorine gas and the pool almost immediately turned green and stayed that way until I took over when they had the chlorine level so high it didn't come within "swim range" for about a month yet the acid level was extremely low. This year the pool again turns green even though the chlorine level has remained quite high and the acid is where it should be. I have had my numbers verified by more than one professional pool store. We found that our phosphates were high and we treated this as well but they remain high (although I can't be sure because the chlorine level is also high thereby potentially giving a false high reading). We don't have a lot of foliage or debris around the pool and, in fact, we have gotten rid of much that was there before we started having algae problems.

We replaced our small cartridge filter with a sand filter about 6 years ago and I'm wondering if this could be the problem. Also, last summer a palm tree fell in the pool. There was about a half inch of mud on the bottom of the pool which I was able to vacuum out and I had the pool back to blue in just a day or 2. Are the recurring problems we are having related to the sand filter or could the palm tree last summer still be the problem and we just need to replace the water AGAIN. Also, if the palm tree is the problem, do we need to replace the sand again as well? Please help, it's going green and practically no one has been swimming in it since the last time it turned green less than a month ago.

FC: I have had my chemicals checked frequently by people I hired for weekly maintenance and recently by knowledgeable staff at 2 different pool supply stores. The chemicals are solid and balanced.
TC:
pH:
TA:
CH:
CYA:

My pool: Concrete, in ground, 20,000 gallons
Pool chemicals: chlorine
My pump & filter: Hayward pro-series sand filter, Stay-rite 3/4 horsepower
Other info:
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Postby floridapooltech » Thu 18 Feb, 2010 00:03

shamoons wrote:HI I
ALL MY CHEMICALS WERE WITH IN NORMAL LIMUTS. I HAVE A 20X40 POOL THAT WE HAVE JUST FRESHLY PAINTED WITH EPOXY. We have had a lot of rain. WE started to see black spots on the bottom & sides og the pool. I put in Copper algicide. which did nothing. My water is clear. I have incresed the chlorine level to try & get rid of the black Algie. I believe as I had this problem once before. Please give me some advice as I don;t know what else to do. I did use a tri -chlor tablet & scrubed the spots that I could reach. With effort I was able to get some of it off. ANy help would be appreviated. Thanks Mary Ann

Mary Anne-
Black algae is usually difficult to treat. I would recommend treating your pool with "blackout" granular as this product is specifically designed to treat black algae. Assuming your pool is vinyl lined (20x40), be careful with the dosage as this is a strong and potentially harmful product for your pool liner. If you have any further questions, feel free to contact our service dept. Also, visit us on the web as we have a "do it yourself" guide filled with tips, advice and tools. We also run promotions for free products, sales, offers & giveaway's.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Fri 19 Feb, 2010 21:13

perplexed,

You didn't say what your specific Free Chlorine (FC) and Cyanuric Acid (CYA) levels were. Many pool stores will 1) incorrectly measure CYA and 2) consider 100-200 ppm CYA just fine when it isn't. Please post your actual measured numbers and do yourself a favor and get your own good test kit such as the Taylor K-2006 you can get at a good online price here or the TF100 from tftestkits.net here with the latter kit having 36% more volume of reagents so is somewhat comparably priced per test.

If the green is algae, then even with high phosphates you should be able to kill it faster with chlorine than it can grow IF you maintain a sufficient FC/CYA ratio. I suspect that your FC is below 7.5% (maybe even below 5%) of the CYA level.
ScosheOwn
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 16X32 above ground oval

Postby ScosheOwn » Tue 01 Jun, 2010 16:35

ChemGeek, thanks for all the great info about keeping chlorine at 7.5% of CYA, how certain types of chlorine raise CYA and calcium hardness, etc. You say that you just add enough chlorine each day to amke up for loss, keeping the level right around 3-5PPM. But don't you have to also periodically shock (raise chlorine to above 10 ppm) to 'burn off' the combined chlorine? Or is that just a myth?
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Wed 02 Jun, 2010 00:29

If you properly maintain the appropriate FC for the CYA level then you do not need to shock regularly. You only need to shock if there is an unusual event such as unusually high bather load or a fecal accident or dead animal, etc. I have hardly ever had to shock my pool and the same is true for tens of thousands of members on multiple pool forums who follow the methods described in the Pool School.
Peggy

Postby Peggy » Wed 02 Jun, 2010 10:00

I have small black spots on the side and bottem of my pool. They are like little dots. I can scrape off
the tops with my nail. I am guessing this is algae, never had this before. It is a plaster pool size
20 by 40. We have all chems blanced and the pool is clear. It is hot here in Texas and the water temp.
is 90 degrees. HELP.
Peggy
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Wed 02 Jun, 2010 10:10

This sounds like it could be black algae. This only develops if the pool has had too low a Free Chlorine (FC) level relative to the Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level for an extended period of time. Read the Pool School link I gave in the previous post including the article there on Defeating Algae. Note that for Black Algae you not only shock the pool, but need to regularly brush the algae to knock off the heads as you are doing to expose the deeper algae to high chlorine levels to kill it.

You should get yourself your own good test kit, the Taylor K-2006 here or the TF-100 here.

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”