GREEN POOL WATER

A BBB guide to supermarket poolcare.
Use store-bought bleach, baking soda
and borax to replace proprietary pool chemicals.
Jackie

GREEN POOL WATER

Postby Jackie » Sun 06 Jun, 2010 12:54

We have a 16 ft above ground that holds 4,000 gallons water. Since we have had copper problems last year, after filling pool this year we went ahead a procust for the copper. We are useing a salt chlorine generator. The water was clear then over night became green..we added more of the copper removeal product and it was mostly clear...now it's back to green...help!!!! According to the bottle we have put as much of the copper removel that is allowed. With the generator I don't know if it's ok to put algie stuff in it or not, of course all the pool stores are closed today. Would appreciate any help you can offer.
Jackie

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

GREEN POOL WATER

Postby chem geek » Mon 07 Jun, 2010 00:45

Are you sure you have copper in your fill water? Perhaps last year you used an alagecide that contained copper, but are you sure you started out with copper after the fresh fill? Is the water a clear green or is it a cloudy green. If it's cloudy, it could be algae and not copper. Read Water Balance for SWGs and make sure that your Free Chlorine (FC) level is at least 5% of the Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level at all times.
B'anne

GREEN POOL WATER

Postby B'anne » Mon 09 May, 2011 18:53

chem geek wrote:Are you sure you have copper in your fill water? Perhaps last year you used an alagecide that contained copper, but are you sure you started out with copper after the fresh fill? Is the water a clear green or is it a cloudy green. If it's cloudy, it could be algae and not copper. Read Water Balance for SWGs and make sure that your Free Chlorine (FC) level is at least 5% of the Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level at all times.

Just refilled pool with well water. Water was blue and crystal clear Added the salt, shock, stabilizer, alkalinity up. Water turned a clear green. Took another sample in for testing. Everything checked out ok and told to add algaecide. Did so. Pool wter still clear green. Can you help???
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

GREEN POOL WATER

Postby chem geek » Mon 09 May, 2011 19:39

You probably have iron in your water since that is common in some well water. It's the oxidation from the chlorine as well as the rise in pH that cause the water to turn color. Did the store check for metals (iron, copper, manganese)? Get a metal sequestrant product (HEDP-based products are more effective and last longer against breakdown from chlorine).

Another alternative for removing metal from the water is CuLator though it isn't cheap, but it is a way to physically remove the metal from the water rather than having to always add metal sequestrants on a regular basis.
reubenlee310
I'm new here
I'm new here

GREEN POOL WATER

Postby reubenlee310 » Thu 01 Nov, 2012 02:08

I read your Forum. I never known about this water. Thanks for us giving wonderful knowledge about this.
Visit The Site
charlesronald
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Hello I am Charles Ronald. I run a business related toSwimming Pool Designs , Pool Remodeling etc.

Re: GREEN POOL WATER

Postby charlesronald » Fri 10 Mar, 2017 01:57

Thanks a lot for your crucial tips .

Return to “BBB Pool Care”