Leak from closed return jet

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
Annorax
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: In ground, vinyl lined, DE filtered

Leak from closed return jet

Postby Annorax » Sun 08 Oct, 2017 16:00

Hi everyone,

I live in MA and have an in-ground, vinyl lined, DE filtered pool. I had it professionally closed recently. Over the past week or so, I've noticed that from one of the closed return jets, I see a few bubbles coming out of it. I do see a fairly big crack in the jet's face plate where one of the screws goes in so I think that might be the issue. I called the pool guys back and they said it should be OK, but I am concerned that over the winter, water will leak in and crack the lines. The previous year I had to repair a cracked line right near this return jet so I have been cautiously watching it.

I've put some Lexel around the crack and face plate as a temporary way to stop it, but I'm doubtful it will hold the entire winter and I'm also not sure how much water has already leaked in. I called the pool guys back to replace take a look, possibly to replace the face plate and reblow the lines, but they are busy so I'm not sure when they can come back.

Some people say a little bit of water in the lines is OK, but I'm not sure if a crack in the face plate can cause the lines to fill over time. They put 1 gallon of antifreeze in the lines but I'm not sure if that is enough to stop a lot of water. What do you guys think, is there a concern here?

I've also tried to use food coloring to see if there's a leak but I didn't see anything move. Do air bubbles always mean a leak?

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Leak from closed return jet

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 08 Oct, 2017 17:07

If you are seeimg air bubbles coming out, water will be going in
Can you take a photo and send to Inyopools.com. They have a lot of different parts available
Unless a freeze is imminent I would wait for them to come back after you have a new part
Annorax
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: In ground, vinyl lined, DE filtered

Postby Annorax » Sun 08 Oct, 2017 17:25

Thank you for the reply. I have a new face plate but I'm cautious of installing it myself. I've seen some videos/websites saying it is very hard and your liner will move and need to be replaced and others saying it is very simple and just 4 screws. I think I'm going to wait for them to come out.

Would a cracked face plate be the most likely cause of the air bubbles? I'd hate to take everything apart and replace a part that might not be the issue.

Also, how good is Lexel for a temporary fix for pool leaks? It says that it's good for waterproofing but not really for use underwater. I was initially hoping to get buy until next spring with it, but the more I thought on it, the more I decided to try to get it fixed properly now rather than next season.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 09 Oct, 2017 02:11

When replacing it I would remove one screw and put a nail with the head cut off through the hole
Do each in turn, replace the face plate and reninstall the screws (that would stop the liner moving)
I don't know if the cracked face plate would cause this leak but it isn't going to get any better
I can't comment on Lexel but if they say it isn't suitable for underwater use, then it isn't
I would get it fixed now as if it does leak and freeze it will be more of a problem

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”