HELP POOL IS STILL GREEN

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
Bryancali

HELP POOL IS STILL GREEN

Postby Bryancali » Wed 09 Aug, 2017 09:39

Ok so I have searched the internet as well as the mind of my local pool store. I've dumped chlorine and shock into my pool let it run 24 hr, checked all levels to make sure they are good to kill algae. Still today it's green. Any ideas ?

Above ground
16-18000 gal

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: HELP POOL IS STILL GREEN

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 09 Aug, 2017 15:05

What are your levels and how do you test
FC:
TC:
pH:
TA:
CH:
CYA:

My pool construction:
Pool chemicals:
Karenp

Postby Karenp » Fri 11 Aug, 2017 12:05

[list=][/list]I was having the same problem with green and tried everything,finally I decided to open up the sand filter. When I siphoned out all the water it was apparent the sand was considerably finer so I decided to change the sand and that has solved the problem. I will try to attach a photo if I can't.....the liquid that was left at the bottom was about the color of green antifreeze originally and has since last night has congelled and turned army green. I also couldn't add anymore chemicals because they were pretty much where they needed to be, so on my return Ihooked the long hose I use to vacuum zip tied it to some bamboo so the water could be aerated by falling from the side if the pool over night. Good luck I know how frustrating it is.[attachment]=[\attachment] sorry unable to attach image
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 11 Aug, 2017 16:23

Karenp wrote:[list=][/list]I was having the same problem with green and tried everything,finally I decided to open up the sand filter. When I siphoned out all the water it was apparent the sand was considerably finer so I decided to change the sand and that has solved the problem. I will try to attach a photo if I can't.....the liquid that was left at the bottom was about the color of green antifreeze originally and has since last night has congelled and turned army green. I also couldn't add anymore chemicals because they were pretty much where they needed to be, so on my return Ihooked the long hose I use to vacuum zip tied it to some bamboo so the water could be aerated by falling from the side if the pool over night. Good luck I know how frustrating it is.[attachment]=[\attachment] sorry unable to attach image

Generally the need to replace sand is not necessary but a Deep Clean of your filter would have done the same job if backwashing wasn't effective
What do you mean you couldn't add any more chemicaks because they were pretty much where they needed to be
If you Slam, (shock level and maintain) that is the way to eliminate algae with a shock level with relation to your Chlorine / CYA Chart and your Pool Levels
If all you have done is change the sand then the algae will return
azulverde
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: With pool and spa design, our goal is to give you a water element that is tranquil and enjoyable. You will be able to relax in the sun and enjoy the beautiful and functional design we create. For a pool and spa area, we focus on what really matters: how you plan to use the space.

Postby azulverde » Tue 12 Dec, 2017 05:15

One of the main reasons why your water is still green even after you have shocked it is because of badly balanced pool chemicals.

High levels of phosphates can cause algae to bloom! Try to lower your phosphate levels while continuing on putting chlorine to kill the algae.
High levels of cyanuric acid (stabilizers) can cause chlorine to be dumb! Even if you put too much chlorine it wont go to work because of your very high CYA!

Other possible reasons:

Dirty cartridge filter - you must clean it daily until your pool is clear!
Sand filter - You must wait for weeks to make your pool clear.
DE filter - Backwash it properly. Maybe the DE is defective and not working? Check your filter setup for any damages that needs replacement.

Don’t forget to regularly test your pool water chemicals. You can buy some of the best competitively priced pool test kits here: Taylor Swimming Pool Test Kits.

Moreover if you need to replace some of your pool filter parts you can find a lot of replacement parts here: Filter Parts & Accessories.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Tue 12 Dec, 2017 11:06

azulverde wrote: Sand filter - You must wait for weeks to make your pool clear.

Don’t forget to regularly test your pool water chemicals. You can buy some of the best competitively priced pool test kits here: Taylor Swimming Pool Test Kits.

If it takes weeks to clear your pool with a sand filter then something is wrong with the setup.

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”