Pool is dark brown

Stains on the pool surfaces, pool equipment
or on the swimmers, or off-color swimming pool
water. Discolored but clear pool water.
Mollie07

Pool is dark brown

Postby Mollie07 » Mon 11 Dec, 2017 18:04

We have a sand filter, live in Tennessee and have been trying to close our pool (yes we probably waited a little long to do so). Pool store said everything in water is appropriate (and to basically ignore high/low readings above) and are stumped on what we should do. It’s full of city water. Filter has been on and we have added lots of baking soda in past few days due to previous low pH. Did a algaecide and shock treatment last week. The color seems to have stained the stairs. We did have some leaves that sat in the bottom after a big storm for a little bit but they are out now. Any suggestions?? Photos: https://imgur.com/gallery/mIs6p

Readings from today at pool store:
pH 7.5
Free available chlorine 5.7
Total chlorine: 5.7
Calcium 133
Stabilizer 94
No nitrates copper iron or manganese
Phosphates 307

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Pool is dark brown

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 12 Dec, 2017 10:45

Bicarbonate of soda only raises TA which you haven't indicated the level
Your pH is fine at 7.5
With CYA of 94 you should be targeting a chlorine level of 10-12 with a minimum of 7 and a shock level of 35 as indicated in Chlorine / CYA Chart with relation to your Pool Levels
Algaecide is not necessary in a properly balanced pool and shocking is only necessary when you need to Slam because of an algae bloom
Try putting a chlorine puck on the stain and see if it goes away
Your high CYA is indicative of stabilised chlorine use and the only way to reduce it is a partial drain and refill
Probably the best option is to close and sort it all out in the spring
For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Trichlor, it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Dichlor, it also increases CYA by 9 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Cal-Hypo, it also increases Calcium Hardness (CH) by at least 7 ppm

Liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite or plain bleach)
Muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid) to lower pH and TA
Bicarbonate of soda to raise TA
Aeration will raise pH only
Soda ash will raise pH and TA

One other thing, get your own test kit, pool stores and test strips are widely inaccurate
Taylor K2006C or TF100
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Tue 12 Dec, 2017 11:17

Dear Mollie07, you pool looks like a vinyl liner pool?
If your pool store said your figures are appropriate, change your pool store! Or better still hang around here and we will help you out.
I wouldn't leave in that condition before closing, it will only be worse in the spring.
What size is the pool, what size is the filter, what size is the pump?

I second what Dennis has written, increase your chlorine to 10-12 now, with ordinary unscented bleach, try to get the strong one 9.6% from Walmart. Pop back with the answers and we'll help you get that sorted so you can close it up clean!
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 12 Dec, 2017 12:06

Hi Mollie 07
I didn't realise just how bad the stain was but after checking your image agree with Teapot
I suggest you do an overnight chlorine loss test
You bring your water up to shock level and test after an hour in the evening and then retest in the morning to see how much you have lost overnight, anything over 1 ppm and you need to Slam
It will be a lot easier and cheaper if you replace half of your water (if you can get your CYA down to 40 you will only need a shock level of 16ppm less than half of the 35ppm)
This is why we recommend your own FAS/DPD testing kit
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Tue 12 Dec, 2017 16:23

Hi Dennis, I don't recommend a water swap this end of the season. sometimes over close down the CYA stabiliser reduces considerably due to a bacteria, for my money better to wait and maybe get a nice surprise. It looked like organic staining so a shock dose should shift it and that does help oxidise some of the CYA.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 12 Dec, 2017 17:36

The only reason I suggested reducing the CYA would be to shock at a lower ppm of 16 against 35ppm and an OCLT would determine if there was algae present
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot » Wed 13 Dec, 2017 02:54

Perfectly valid point Dennis, I don't know if they can fill from the tap or have to get water trucked in as in some states? I would be interested to see the phosphate levels for the fill water.
azulverde
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: With pool and spa design, our goal is to give you a water element that is tranquil and enjoyable. You will be able to relax in the sun and enjoy the beautiful and functional design we create. For a pool and spa area, we focus on what really matters: how you plan to use the space.

Postby azulverde » Wed 27 Dec, 2017 00:06

In ground swimming pool usually have these disadvantages. They are the breeding ground for algae especially at the bottom of the pool. Pump out the water, clean the liner with brush, vacuum up any algae or accumulated wastes on the liner and wipe it with a clean cloth.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 27 Dec, 2017 04:16

azulverde wrote:In ground swimming pool usually have these disadvantages. They are the breeding ground for algae especially at the bottom of the pool. Pump out the water, clean the liner with brush, vacuum up any algae or accumulated wastes on the liner and wipe it with a clean cloth.

You are mistaken azulverde, I don't know where you get your information from but your solution won't work as the entire pool needs to be treated including your pipes skimmer and returns
All swimming pools can have an algae problem and are only a breeding ground for algae when they are neglected and sanitiser is left to fall below the recommended level as indicated in Chlorine / CYA Chart with relation to your Pool Levels
Algae grows all over the pool and pumping out all your water with a liner pool would be distasterous
" Clean the liner with brush, vacuum up any algae or accumulated wastes on the liner" This is standard practice but wiping with a clean cloth is useless because all you are doing is spreading all the algae around the pool
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot » Wed 27 Dec, 2017 06:16

Seconded Dennis

Return to “Pool Surface Staining & Discolored Pool Water”