Replace Hayward NS Motor with variable Speed Motor

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
Weedhopper

Postby Weedhopper » Wed 29 Dec, 2010 15:12

I have a 18,000 gallon pool with a Jacuzi, slide and waterfall. It has an Aqualogice smart controller and there is a seperate motor that can feed the waterfall, pool or both. It currently has a Hayward 2.5 hp pump (mD SP4020X252NS) filter pump that the motor went out on. Is it possible to put a variable speed motor on the existing pump? I herd that there is problems with this type of pump and it has been rocommended to me to replace the whole thing. Do any of you have any recommendations? I have been told that it would be best to go back with a Hayward variable speed pump that would mesh with the existing controller. Wouldnt any pump be able to be controlled with the existing controller. Any advice or comment would be most appreciated. Thanks

floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Postby floridapooltech » Sat 01 Jan, 2011 15:11

Weedhopper wrote:I have a 18,000 gallon pool with a Jacuzi, slide and waterfall. It has an Aqualogice smart controller and there is a seperate motor that can feed the waterfall, pool or both. It currently has a Hayward 2.5 hp pump (mD SP4020X252NS) filter pump that the motor went out on. Is it possible to put a variable speed motor on the existing pump? I herd that there is problems with this type of pump and it has been rocommended to me to replace the whole thing. Do any of you have any recommendations? I have been told that it would be best to go back with a Hayward variable speed pump that would mesh with the existing controller. Wouldnt any pump be able to be controlled with the existing controller. Any advice or comment would be most appreciated. Thanks

The Hayward Northstar pump has been known to have several issues. The most recommended pump we refer for VS is the Pentair Sta-Rite IntelliPro. This is a very popular variable speed pump, we have also not heard of any issues with this pump.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”