"Polyquats" in Australia?

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
Wuckawucka
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 55000 litres, white plaster (marble sheen) circa early 1980s. Salt chlorinated, Zodiac TRi large.

Postby Wuckawucka » Sun 16 Jan, 2011 01:22

Hi, I've read about Polyquat algaecides but have had trouble locating them in my local pool shops here in Australia. Maybe I've been unlucky, but most shop staff don't seem to know what I'm talking about.

I know I'm looking for Poly{oxyethylene(dimethyliminio)Ethylene (dimethyliminio)ethylene dichloride}

Can anyone tell me a brand name, and where to buy in Adelaide or online? Are there equivalent products from multiple manufacturers? What's a decent price?

One shop recommended "ZZ60" and said they could order it in. I have searched but not found any info on it. At least the 60 sounds right...

This is to treat recurring mustard algae (I am pretty sure that's what it is - mustard deposit on the floor which clouds up when disturbed). Old white marble sheen concrete pool, 55000 litres, outside with lots of gum leaves going in.

In the last few months I've added a solar blanket, which helps a lot with the leaves, and converted to salt with a Zodiac TRi large.

Thanks for any help, and for reading my first post here! :)

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Sun 16 Jan, 2011 10:51

This list is for all registered pool algicides in Australia, but products can sometimes use different names than listed. The PolyQuat listings are as follows:

C & D PACKAGING CONCENTRATED BLACK SPOT TREATMENT
BIOGUARD ALGIZINE ALGAECIDE (NOTE: may contain Trichlor in it as well)
PREMIUM QUALITY LIQUID GOLD ALGAECIDE
POOLKING ALGICIDE
R70 BLACK SPOT ALGAE KILLER
:
(see next post)
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Sun 16 Jan, 2011 10:52

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Sun 16 Jan, 2011 10:54

:
H20 POOL CHEMICALS METAL FREE ALGAECIDE
PUREBLUE PURE & SPARKLING ALGAECIDE
POOL PROTECTOR SIMERCIDE ALGAECIDE (NOTE: may have Trichlor in it as well)
IQ POOL SOLUTIONS POLYMAX ALGAECIDE

As an example of different names, note the following:

Bioguard® Polygard™
There are HTH Algaecides in South Africa, but I can't find ingredients and there was nothing specifically about HTH for Australia.

That's all I could find. Hopefully that helps.
Wuckawucka
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 55000 litres, white plaster (marble sheen) circa early 1980s. Salt chlorinated, Zodiac TRi large.

Postby Wuckawucka » Sun 16 Jan, 2011 19:06

chem geek wrote:this list is for all registered pool algicides in australia

thanks chem geek, much appreciated! I had no idea this existed. However your actual link didn't work for me so did a new search - algaecides containing "poly oxyethylene (dimethyliminio) ethylene (dimethyl....". Not sure why but my search results were different to yours:

bioguard polygard algaecide
dais gold medal pool products black spot algaecide
dais gold medal pool products pool clear algaecide
iq metal free algaecide
algaefix aquarium algaecide
pond care algaefix pond algaecide
pool fast hydroclear algae treatment
splash step 3 algaecide
genie algaecide
pool magic copper algaecide

at least the last one has copper - though it's an organo copper complex which i understand is not supposed to stain - ?? Not sure i trust that not to stain.

Many of these have low concentrations. To start with, i think i'll just look in more/different shops, keep an eye out for the brands named above and read the labels.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Mon 17 Jan, 2011 02:18

The difference is that I searched for all products with product type "pool algicide". Your search includes product type "algicide" and is a better search than what I did. The link I gave wouldn't work for me either -- one can't link to a search apparently. One can do a general PUBCRIS search here as you discovered.
Wuckawucka
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Wuckawucka » Tue 18 Jan, 2011 19:27

I found one polyquat product - but it's not cheap. One litre of 460g/l is A$49! (and A$ is not much different to US$). Can anyone tell me if that's just the going rate in Oz?

Also found a great post on algae by you chem geek, in the thread "dark green pool - how do I clean it??" viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2614&start=90

I've been thinking of trying a phosphate remover, as this pool had had a lot of gum leaves go in over time and I understand they are a source of phosphate. I should get a phosphate test done first I guess, as I can't test myself and won't know if it has done anything to the levels. But your post (linked above) says these removers don't work for organic phosphates...? Are phosphates from leaves organic? I'm not sure if this is worthwhile for me to spend maybe $40 on a phosphate remover.

EDIT - many of the products returned by the search results above contain SIMAZINE. There seem to be health concerns around this chemical. It is banned in the US and not used in Europe. See http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009 ... 573284.htm

The ZZ60 I mentioned in my first post is actually ZedZed60, and its active ingredient is simazine.

I will be avoiding all products containing simazine!
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Wed 19 Jan, 2011 00:12

Yeah, I was surprised to see that. You don't see it for pool use in the PAN Pesticide Database for U.S. products.

Postby Guest » Wed 19 Jan, 2011 07:40

Yes, but there is one approved for aquariums, ponds and fountains

http://www.pesticideinfo.org/Detail_Pro ... _NR=009712
New owner old pool

Postby New owner old pool » Mon 29 Aug, 2011 21:02

Hi there,

I am new to maintaining an old pool. I have a pebblecrete pool about 40,000 litres and I think I have a black spot algae problem. My pool water is all balance and everything seems ok except there are patches on the wall and some on the stairs and floor, not all over. I understand that the Polyquat algaecide is good as it is non-staining. From reading the post, I was wondering the which algaecide did you use in the end as I am also looking for one. Thanks.

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”