Sand filter

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
crashem

Sand filter

Postby crashem » Mon 14 Feb, 2011 17:15

Hi
I have a 20000 gallon salt pool with a (60 square ft) de filter. I am sick of replacing the filter elements every 1 to 2 years because of wear holes in them. I am thinking of getting a sand filter. I have a NorthStar 2 horse pump. I need a recommendation for size of sand filter. I do not want to buy the biggest in less I need it. I do have a lot of trees and wind (I get an unuasal amount of debris in my pool). I clean debris out on a daily basis sometimes a little sometimes a lot. my polaris can only keep up about half the time. my de filter is great during the times of low debris. My neighbor went with a sand filter a couple of years ago and he almost never has to do maintence on it. If anyone can recommend a filter it would be great.

crashem

Sand filter

Postby crashem » Fri 18 Feb, 2011 01:21

I need a recommended size:
Larry
Pool Forums Admin
My Pool: Pool Pro
Exclusively tiled concrete pools

Sand filter

Postby Larry » Fri 18 Feb, 2011 08:45

We usually install a 30" - 32" sand filter for a 2hp pump. The pump does not struggle and the filter doesn't get full too quickly. The pump can also adequately raise the sand bed during backwashing, which is not the case with oversized filters.

Larry
crashem

Sand filter

Postby crashem » Fri 18 Feb, 2011 17:32

Thanks larry.............
crashem

Sand filter

Postby crashem » Sun 20 Feb, 2011 14:12

It your interested....

I have been researching my situation and it seems that I have over sized my pump. When my de filter gets to clogged my pump puts out to much pressure and ruins the elements (puts holes in them). Have read that I should use a med. head pump so when the filter does get clogged. The pump will not have the power necessary to ruin the filter.......... I plan on adding a pool solar heater in the future as well as utilizing the the main pump to run my polaris. so have to figure that one out........ thanks for the help.
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

Sand filter

Postby czechmate » Mon 21 Feb, 2011 21:59

I have oversized 2HP motor on my 36sqft DE for last 25 years. It may run higher back pressure, hum little more and use more money to run it (If you have it to supply your Polaris booster pump, the Polaris pump will like it).
But certainly does not have the ability to put a holes in your coated elements. At least I do not comprehend how, neither I have ever heard such a thing. You see the 30 pounds of pressure which is about what you get on a very dirty filter is brought in the filter can and distributed fairly evenly on whole surface element.
One thing that will put holes in your elements is small pieces of crushed trichlor tablets used in the skimmer for supershock!
crashem444

Sand filter

Postby crashem444 » Tue 22 Feb, 2011 16:06

I have a salt water system so i dont put trichlor in my pool. I cant think of any thing else that would keep causing the elements to wear(rub) holes in the elements. They wear right at the ribs of plastic in the element, causing the plastic rib to punch through so each element has a row of hole straight down the element. I have never had the de spread nice and even (is all over the element but it is not even) some big clumps end up on the bottom. I put in the recommended amount.
crashem444

Sand filter

Postby crashem444 » Tue 22 Feb, 2011 16:09

I have the northstar 2 hp pump.
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

Sand filter

Postby czechmate » Tue 22 Feb, 2011 20:45

You are talking about DE elements, but the title says Sand filter. I assume it is DE filter. The only thing I can come up with is deterioration by chlorine, combined with old age or combination of real high levels chlorine supershock and also acid wash, run through elements.
The materials used in DE mesh are pretty tough but they will sustain damage if abused.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”