Solar Pool heater - is it even working?

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....

Postby webguy » Wed 16 Mar, 2011 10:57

I am trying to figure out my solar panels and whether they are heating my pool. First a little background - purchased a home with a saltwater pool and solar panels heating it. It was great when we moved in - real hot right around this time of year. The actuator that lets water through to the roof (panels) rusted shut and I replaced it. It seemed that there was more than one way to put the handle on. I tried two ways over the past month and can't seem to get any heat.

I took some pictures and a video which are below.

What is going wrong? I can hear water moving around in the pipes that go to the roof. I do not feel a temp difference in the water that comes out. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to explain my situation. Thanks for any help.

Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby mas985 » Wed 16 Mar, 2011 18:03

The typical temperature rise from a solar panel is about 3-4 degrees from input to output so it may not be easy to tell the difference. Your setup looks like it should work and the brown valve you pointed at is a check valve and prevents water from flowing backwards through the filter when the pump is shut off.

What is the filter pressure with solar off vs solar on?
Hydraulics 101 ; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets ; Pump Ed 101
18'x36' 20k gallon plaster/gunite pool, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge Filter, Solar Panels, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater
Pool Newbie
Pool Newbie

Postby pintohenry » Tue 28 Feb, 2012 05:28

Hello, I had installed solar pool heater for swimming pool and it is really working very well.
Pool Newbie
Pool Newbie
My Pool:

Postby IndoorPoolGuy » Sat 10 Mar, 2012 20:33

Hi Pintohenry! Have you checked this guide to swimming pool heaters at
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby andrrewdamien » Fri 15 Jun, 2012 12:54

Warming your outside share with a solar pool heater is a simple way to lower your energy expenses and keep your share warm enough to move all at the same time.
paint marker

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”