Solar Pool heater - is it even working?

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
webguy

Postby webguy » Wed 16 Mar, 2011 10:57

Hello,
I am trying to figure out my solar panels and whether they are heating my pool. First a little background - purchased a home with a saltwater pool and solar panels heating it. It was great when we moved in - real hot right around this time of year. The actuator that lets water through to the roof (panels) rusted shut and I replaced it. It seemed that there was more than one way to put the handle on. I tried two ways over the past month and can't seem to get any heat.

I took some pictures and a video which are below.

http://www.devken.com/pool/index.html

What is going wrong? I can hear water moving around in the pipes that go to the roof. I do not feel a temp difference in the water that comes out. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to explain my situation. Thanks for any help.

Ken

mas985
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby mas985 » Wed 16 Mar, 2011 18:03

The typical temperature rise from a solar panel is about 3-4 degrees from input to output so it may not be easy to tell the difference. Your setup looks like it should work and the brown valve you pointed at is a check valve and prevents water from flowing backwards through the filter when the pump is shut off.

What is the filter pressure with solar off vs solar on?
Mark
Hydraulics 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Ed 101
18'x36' 20k gallon plaster/gunite pool, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge Filter, Solar Panels, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater
pintohenry
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby pintohenry » Tue 28 Feb, 2012 05:28

Hello, I had installed solar pool heater for swimming pool and it is really working very well.
IndoorPoolGuy
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: www.indoorpoolguide.com

Postby IndoorPoolGuy » Sat 10 Mar, 2012 20:33

Hi Pintohenry! Have you checked this guide to swimming pool heaters at http://www.indoorpoolguide.com/heating-systems
andrrewdamien
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby andrrewdamien » Fri 15 Jun, 2012 12:54

Warming your outside share with a solar pool heater is a simple way to lower your energy expenses and keep your share warm enough to move all at the same time.
paint marker

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”