Crack in concrete with water coming in

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
zfuntastic
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: rectangular, 9 feet in the deep end, 4 feet in the shallow end.

Postby zfuntastic » Sun 20 Mar, 2011 01:52

I'm trying to repair a crack in my pool that goes down the side close to the bottom. I had previously repaired the crack with pool putty and it lasted two years and started to leak again.

I've drained the pool sanded off the pool putty and tried to reapply; but, there is a leak where ground water is coming in! A couple of questions...

1) How can I patch a crack when ground water is pouring in through the crack?

2) Is there any really strong adhesive besides pool putty that I could use to really seal that crack?

Thanks for any info you can provide!

czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

Postby czechmate » Mon 21 Mar, 2011 08:56

Surface treatment will not stop a leak caused by a structural fault. If it was a leak around the inlet fitting you would still have to chisel around it and repair with acrylic reinforced plaster. It appears from your description that you may have a structural crack caused by a pool settlement.
Walls are usually shot 6" thick to hold pressure and be water resistant to the outside element.
Pool putty is a cosmetic filler used for a damage in surface plaster.
You need to jackhammer about 4 " wide and 3' deep trench where the crack is, acid wash, clean well with water, apply BondKote and then fortified concrete. Exposed rebar may need to be painted to avoid rust seepage through the repair layer. Sometimes if you lucky a smaller cracks area can be topped of with a tile inlay of a water creature like a shark, turtle, etc. This helps to minimize repair visibility and save potential costs of re-plaster. Experienced gunite company will tell you the extend to which you need to go in your particular case.
Good luck!
zfuntastic
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: rectangular, 9 feet in the deep end, 4 feet in the shallow end.

Postby zfuntastic » Tue 22 Mar, 2011 19:53

Thanks! - that's the best advice I've found so far. I like the idea of acid washing the area - I hadn't thought of that. Thanks again.
poolman123

Postby poolman123 » Wed 23 Mar, 2011 07:29

We use a BASF product in Europe for fixing active leaks - Masterseal 590.
This cement based mortar hardens and swells in minutes to provide a patch/ seal which is stronger than the original concrete.

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”