swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
navyfly73
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 30x15 inground concrete

Return lines in concrete, please help

Postby navyfly73 » Thu 14 Apr, 2011 17:21

Hi. I have a very old concrete pool. I having the liner replaced, it's already out of the pool. The coping around the pool are old masonry sections on top of the cantilever channel which needs replaced. I was going to get the metal rounded bullnose channel put in that you pour concrete into. Since I'm doing that, I figured I might as well replace the sunken concrete (and cracked/broken) patio, which is more like a sidewalk going around the pool and the stone coping. That seems pretty easy, but I noticed that my return lines and skimmer lines are pretty rusty and who knows how long they last. Apparently, these old lines are built into the concret of the pool itself. It's way too expensive and labor intensive to have someone cut into the pool undergournd and replace the lines. I'm wondering if I can run the flex PVC inside the existing lines (snake it through) so I don't have to go through the above process. In essence, it would be like putting a chimney liner in a chimney. Has anyone ever done something like this or can it be done?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

patrickspools

Postby patrickspools » Tue 19 Apr, 2011 08:09

I guess you have never actually worked with flex pvc before :)

Its not the most cooperative stuff. You method would not be possible. Plus red ants and termites eat flex pvc underground. Rigid pvc or black poly would be the way to go. I would steer clear from that cr coping as well. That look died about 25 years ago.
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

Postby czechmate » Tue 19 Apr, 2011 17:18

The only return line that is always in the concrete would be the bottom drain, since the pipe is tie-wired to the back of the rebar grid. The fresh water inlets should be below the beam straight out, which puts it well below the pool deck mesh rebar. May take little bit of digging but it can be done.

Please note: sand the old pipe well with plumbers fabric ribbon, use cleaner and cement rated for Shedule 40 PVC. Also it is a god practice to add an extra bend, bow or a 90 in the PVC run to allow for the difference in ground and gunite settlement.

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”