Convert pool to water storage.

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
thirunat66
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 9m x 5m, 'B' shape. Unheated, in ground. Onga pump, Pantera Hi Rate Sand filter.

Postby thirunat66 » Thu 21 Apr, 2011 20:43

I live in Melbourne, Australia, and have an outdoor unheated pool. Since the weather here is conducive to outdoor swimming for maybe one month a year, the cost-per-use is quite unsustainable.

I am therefore considering laying a timber deck over the pool but hope to use the pool itself as rainwater storage and pump it out to the garden.

Has anyone on this forum done such a conversion and if so, I would appreciate your views, lessons learnt etc.

Rajan

lisaa
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby lisaa » Wed 27 Apr, 2011 05:23

Covered the pool with a solid vinyl cover, the kind used for "winterizing" the pool in colder climates. The cost was approx. $2,600. It was custom designed to my measurements and shipped to me. My brother and I installed it over 1 day. (large-36,000 gallons, irregular shaped pool-overlapping rectangles) It was installed 1 year ago. It can be walked on (I have not tried) and safe for children.
poolfilters
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: Leading Suppliers of swimming pool filter cartridges, pool filters, pool filters and pumps, pool filter cartridges, pool filter suppliers, Hayward replacement cartridge filters, grid filters, spa products.

Postby poolfilters » Tue 03 May, 2011 06:25

Good topic. I am also waiting for any reply.
thirunat66
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 9m x 5m, 'B' shape. Unheated, in ground. Onga pump, Pantera Hi Rate Sand filter.

Postby thirunat66 » Fri 20 May, 2011 19:48

I've been speaking to a few handymen and the like. While no one has actually done a conversion, the consensus seems to be;
1) empty and dry the pool.
2) Paint the entire surface with an anti-algal treatment.
3) Install stainless steel or similar water resistant uprights on the pool floor at a pitch to be determined in consultation with decking installers.
4) Install the decking professionally.
4) Install a access hatch over the existing pool steps for ongoing maintenance.
5) Keep the water surface (under the decking) covered with a winter cover.
Alexdamann

Convert inground pool to water storage.

Postby Alexdamann » Sat 04 Feb, 2012 11:24

You could simply fill the pool with clean gravel, cover it with heavy duty landscape fabric, top it with soil, pack it down, then top it off with garden top soil. You will also need a drain near the top of the gravel line to drain off excess water before water level can reach landscape fabric and soil. Take photos and share the end result. All the best.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”