New to pools

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
lasagolf

New to pools

Postby lasagolf » Wed 27 Apr, 2011 11:00

I have a 15 X 30 oval above ground pool, 4' deep. We just purchased the home and don't have a clue. my readings are ph=6.4, cya = 0,ta=80,chlorine = 1 and hardness = 200. I have put one bag of shock into pool and have used one 3" chlorine tablet in the skimmer so far. These reading were taken after the shock and tablet was in and circulating for over 24 hours. The pool is clean of leaves and debris and the pool is somewhat cloudy, not clear. I have balance pak and baking soda left over from a spa we used to have.
thanks

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

New to pools

Postby chem geek » Wed 27 Apr, 2011 13:56

I'm not sure I trust the CYA reading. Are you using test strips? If so, they are not accurate. First off, get yourself a good test kit -- either the Taylor K-2006 or the TFTestkits TF-100. It will be, by far, the most important investment you will make.

Your pH is too low but what you should do depends on the type of chlorine you plan to use. If you plan to use Trichlor pucks/tabs, then add pH Up which is the same as Balance Pak 200 (NOT 100 which is Alkalinity Up or baking soda). Or you could use Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda (careful: NOT the laundry detergent) which is the same thing. This will raise both pH and TA. If you plan to use chlorinating liquid or bleach as your main source of chlorine, then you can get 20 Mule Team Borax to raise the pH and/or can aerate the water which will raise the pH with no change in TA.

If your CYA level is truly low, then you can use Dichlor to raise both the chlorine and the CYA at the same time. Just don't overdo it since for every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Dichlor, it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 9 ppm. With the pool cloudy and the chlorine level low, you need to raise the FC level by adding chlorine and need to maintain the higher level and run the pump until the pool clears. To learn more about how to manage your pool, please read the Pool School.
poolfilters
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: Leading Suppliers of swimming pool filter cartridges, pool filters, pool filters and pumps, pool filter cartridges, pool filter suppliers, Hayward replacement cartridge filters, grid filters, spa products.

New to pools

Postby poolfilters » Tue 03 May, 2011 06:49

I just been thinking the same. With a day or two of warm weather I want to start getting my pool ready for the new swimming season.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”