Sodium Bicarbonate and Granular Shock @ the same time

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
Everyonelovesthecubs

Postby Everyonelovesthecubs » Fri 13 May, 2011 23:08

Well i got a job to open up a in ground pool with a sand filter. I've only had experience with saltwater pools. I used a test strip in the nasty green pool and saw there was, ofcourse no chlorine, so i used granular shock in the pool (medium size pool). About 13 lbs of shock. The next day it was every so slighty clearer so i used another 13 lbs. That day I noticed the PH may have been a little low so i tossed in about 10 lbs of sodium bicarbonate not very long after shocking the pool. Now it is back to being as cloudy as before i ever threw any chemicals in. I havent had the pool running very much, but some. Also i'm only leaving the main drain open, with the skimmers closed for other reasons. Today i tossed another 5 lbs of shock in there and called it a day. It's hard to read the test strips but i think the ph and alkalinity are a tad low. The chlorine is way up and the stabilizer is low. The pool is a greenish slighty brownish color. I'd be forever grateful for some advice. Thank you so much. I'll be back to check for replys often! :cry:
-Michael

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Sat 14 May, 2011 03:05

Test strips are next to useless. The CYA (stabilizer/conditioner) reading is probably wrong. If the pH were low, you do not add sodium bicarbonate to raise it -- that's for raising the TA. To raise the pH, you'd add pH Up (sodium carbonate) or 20 Mule Team Borax or even aerate the water, though if you were going to shock with chlorine there wouldn't be any need to raise the pH unless it was very low (i.e. < 7.0) since shocking would raise the pH.

So get yourself a proper test kit, either the Taylor K-2006 or the TFTestkits TF-100. Read Defeating Algae.
everyonelovesthecubs

Postby everyonelovesthecubs » Sat 14 May, 2011 21:23

Well the PH level was way high so i added a gallon of muriatic acid to the pool. If the ph level drops to a good level tomorrow what should i then do? The chlorine level is very high- should it clear up by morning? Should i shock it again once the ph is down? Am i in for trouble if it hasnt cleared up after the ph is at the right level? aiaiai
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

Postby czechmate » Sun 15 May, 2011 10:49

There is couple things that you should remember.
Always remove pool cleaner such as Polaris from the pool, when you put extreme load of chlorine( 26 pounds) in the water. (It affects the color and makes plastic body brittle over period of time).
Also, pool pump needs to run continuously during procedure to affect algae in the vertical walls. If the pump collects the undissolved high potency Cal-Hypo and it gets trapped by DE elements, it may damage the parts of exposed or badly coated element mesh.
everyonelovestheucbs

Postby everyonelovestheucbs » Sun 15 May, 2011 14:58

well i came back this morning and it's still green and the ph is too low now (added the whole gallon of acid last night). I threw 3 lbs of soda ash in there to try and correct the ph level. Now it's at about 6.4. i'm trying to reach 7.4. There's still a bunch of chlorine in the pool. when the ph hits the right spot should the pool clear up? Thanks yall
everyonelovestheucbs

Postby everyonelovestheucbs » Sun 15 May, 2011 15:00

another note. I backwashed and rinsed the filter a couple of times since shocking the pool. I just learned that I shouldnt backwash and rinse the filter untill it gets pretty dirty because that will help filter out the pool, since the tiny particles might not get caught by the sand.
everyonelovesthecubs

Postby everyonelovesthecubs » Tue 17 May, 2011 14:51

well after having to wait a couple of days to get back to the pool I went there this morning and it was good and clear. The ph was still a little low so i threw a few lbs of soda ash in there and will shock it later today. Had to jet out of the backyard when there pit bull that was tied up got loose of its leash :problem: Thanks for the replys

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”