Poor water circulation. Clogged return line? Broken valve?

Water bugs, swimming insects and sweat bees.
Foaming bubbly water. Frogs in the pool.
Dead animals in the swimming pool.
atom519
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby atom519 » Wed 18 May, 2011 14:31

New pool owner here, so bear with me. I'm basically having problems with my pump/filter system not having much suction power as indicated by very low return water to the jet in the shallow end, and very low suction at the bottom of the skimmer.

The pool itself is old, I'd guess around 40 years or so. However, the previous owners have put in a new pump and filter since. There is no drain at the bottom of the pool, so I have to rely on the lone skimmer to gather debris off the top of the water and I manually hook up a vacuum hose to the skimmer to get dirt off the bottom.

I know that the pump itself works just fine, as when the valve it set to backwash - there is a lot of water being pulled through and I can visually see a whirlpool occurring near the skimmer as it sucks down leaves and such. However, when it's set to ANY other valve setting (Filter, Recirculate, etc) - almost no suction power occurs at the skimmer and virtually no water comes out of the return jet in the shallow end.

I got by last year by shocking often and using a battery powered vacuum for the bottom of the pool. I thought the sand filter might be the cause, so I replaced the sand this spring and just opened it yesterday to find it had the same problem as last year.

I'm looking for ideas before having a service call from a local pool company. I'm thinking the problem might be a clogged in the return line (although I would think the skimmer would still have good suction), or a broken valve somehow?

The filter is a Triton II TR50. Valve is of the multipoint variety. I currently just have it on recirculate right now with very little water actually being recirculated. I can take some pictures if needed.

zulueta
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 10X20 feet

Postby zulueta » Tue 24 May, 2011 09:43

Hi. I think there's a clog somewhere. But better consult your service man to get a clearer answer. Good luck...
Enjoying the salt chlorinator in my swimming pool.
pete with no water returning out of the jets

Postby pete with no water returning out of the jets » Wed 20 Jul, 2011 08:20

Hi, poor water circulation, I hope you figured yours out by now. Mine is doing the same thing what can you offer for me to do.
thank You, Pete

Postby Guest » Mon 27 Aug, 2012 02:50

Hi Guys,

I have just encountered the same problem: this happened after replacing a split Pump filter basket at the end of winter down here The difference I have is that the filter basket (on Pump Input) goes from full of water to empty in about 2-3 seconds then continually runs like this until it's turned off !!!

I have had the motor/pump checked and saw it working in the pool shop's tank setup. They dismantled the pump to check the impeller, etc and all OK.

Took it home and re-attached everything - no holes plugged up, and yep - it emptied the pump filter basket and refilled it in about 3 secs flat. Hello Square 1.

Anyone have any ideas - because if I can't figure it out, the 'Pool Service Tecnicians' (?) are as inexpensive as some Medical Professionals out here - Thanks
Joe 55

Postby Joe 55 » Fri 08 Feb, 2013 06:08

With regards to poor circulation do all have sand filters, when were they last back washed. What pressure is the gauge reading, is it in the green or the red
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 10 Feb, 2013 06:15

I've had this problem, it would work OK when pumping to waste
It seems like you are sucking in air
Have you tried a new gasket /"o" ring on the strainer basket lid and sealed with silicon grease
PhD43
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 16 x 32 concrete

Postby PhD43 » Wed 27 Mar, 2013 16:53

I don't know what is causing your low water pressure, but if you need a boost of circulation in your pool than you need to buy the circulator. With my previous pool, I only had one return working because I had to plug the other one. The circulation was so bad that I had continuous problems with algae and cloudy pool water. My pool store recommended the circulator to me and WOW, what a difference! My pool literally came alive with just one return. It is truly an amazing product that I would highly recommend to all pool owners who want their pool to look sparkling clear and easy to maintain. :thumbup:
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Thu 28 Mar, 2013 03:29

Hi

Read this post re "The Circulator" before you buy
viewtopic.php?t=9499

If your strainer basket empties then you are sucking in air from your suction line or pump
You may have a leak on your suction line but check your pump seals
nikkigomes12
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: My swimming is rectangle in shape and size is 16' x 32' x 8'

Postby nikkigomes12 » Mon 17 Jun, 2013 23:03

Hi, according to me if you are getting some problems related to your pool's pipe and valve fittings then you should go for a plumber. If you fix the problem by your own then might be it gets okay for few days but after few days it will again start giving you trouble so it is better to go with the plumbers.
Plumbers are well experienced and cam solve your problem in less time. Plumbers have taken an appropriate apprenticeship courses so they are masters of this field.
If you also want to participate in a plumbing apprenticeship then plumbing apprenticeship in Skillconnection provides you best guidance for a proper training course.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 18 Jun, 2013 09:29

Hi

I'm a retired plumber but I feel you have access to hundreds of different people who have experienced similar problems and rectified them through this forum.

It does also help if people say how they fixed it or what the problem was

Return to “General Pool Water Problems”