Setting up elecrical wiring for pool pump? (Pictures inside)

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
Nallows
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Above ground 32x16, sand filter, 1.5 HP and 115V pump.

Postby Nallows » Sun 22 May, 2011 16:16

It has been several years since we've opened our pool and we've run into a problem. There used to be the following pictures setup and working, but it seems the wires have been completely torn over the past several years. Would any of this be salvageable and if so, would I just explain the situation to an electrician? I'm extremely unaware of how those outlets work and I have no idea if there's supposed to be a long wire running to the house or what is involved here. Any starting pointers would be greatly appreciated.

In the mean time, you can see in the fourth picture we just have a heavy duty extension cord running the pump until we figure something out. No one is currently swimming in it, but just maintaining the water flow every so often. Would it be possible to just throw a portable GFCI outlet on the extension cord instead?

czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

Postby czechmate » Sun 22 May, 2011 18:41

[quote="Nallows"] I'm extremely unaware of how those outlets work and I have no idea if there's supposed to be a long wire running to the house or what is involved here. Any starting pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Salvagable in terms of selling the copper, maybe. Romex in the pipe is not permitted by NEC anyway.
Have no idea what size of pool you running, but to get an electrician is a good point to start.
120V or 230V outdoors is nothing to be underestimated.
Even if all the controls is a 2pole switch.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”