Do I Need a New Pool Pump?

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
sarasmile
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: * inground 16x32 rectangle pool (4 ft to 8 ft.)
* AO Smith 1 hp pump (the label says 110/220 V, max load 15/7.5 amps)
* Hayward sand-type filter.

Postby sarasmile » Tue 24 May, 2011 16:25

Hello All,

We opened our pool this week, and are experiencing problems with our pool pump. We have an inground 16x32 rectangle pool, with depths ranging from 4 ft to 8 ft. The pump is an AO Smith 1 hp pump (the label says 110/220 V, max load 15/7.5 amps) connected to a Hayward sand-type filter. The pump is connected to a 15-amp circuit breaker, located right next to the pump outside, which is in turn connected to a 20 amp breaker inside the house.

Here's the problem: when turning on the pump via the breaker switch outside, the pump will turn on and prime fine for a while, but then it will trip the switch within about 20-30 minutes. It never trips it right away - sometimes it trips within 5 minutes, but usually within the 20-30 minute range. The weird thing is, like this morning, it will go on for hours until it trips. But so far this year, it trips eventually. Last year I remember we had intermittently a similar problem, although never this frequent - it would run fine for days. The pump is almost brand new - a pool pump technician installed it end of last year because apparently we didn't have a GFI (we bought this house recently) and whenever there was a thunderstorm the pump would surge and seize right up. We now have a GFI.

The pressure gauge on my filter is currently reading 12 psi - when I turned it on early this morning it read 8 psi, so it seems to be steadily increasing - which may be normal. I don't know what the typical psi should be - this is the first year we are maintaining the pool ourselves, we had a pool guy do it last year.

Additional info: I backwashed and rinsed the filter twice. The pump feels quite warm to the touch - not too hot to touch for a moment, but definitely painful if I keep my hand there for longer than 5 seconds.

Before turning on the pool pump this morning I cleared around the pump some shrub and bushes that were close to it, just to give it more ventilation - perhaps it's overheating and shutting itself off? Is that why it's running ok now?

Anyway - I'm lost why this happens. Any advice would be helpful - thank you!

poolboy11

Postby poolboy11 » Sat 28 May, 2011 06:08

The breaker will trip from current overload or a short circuit.

The delay suggests the pump is drawing too much current, which happens when the pump or motor cannot turn freely.

I suggest you get the pump looked at by a professional or you may end up burning the motor out and have a bigger replacement bill later on.

Postby Guest » Mon 30 May, 2011 09:48

how old is the pump? bearings could have gone on the pump causing strain on the pump tripping the circut breaker.
Does it have a "Shaft access" cap on the back end? If it does shut the breaker offf and unscrew the cap. You should have shaft stub (make sure you know which way the shaft spins ....(sometimes labled on pump) try turning it should be able to turn by hand or with a pair of channel locks grab the end and turn it. It should turn relatively easy.
sarasmile
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: * inground 16x32 rectangle pool (4 ft to 8 ft.)
* AO Smith 1 hp pump (the label says 110/220 V, max load 15/7.5 amps)
* Hayward sand-type filter.

Postby sarasmile » Tue 07 Jun, 2011 14:27

I did get the pool pump looked at this weekend. It turns out the pump was faulty (possibly the bearings). It was still under warranty so the new one was free. btw, I did find a good site that gave me a lot of information on how to buy a pool pump and on maintenance, installation etc. Thanks for you responses :-)
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Postby floridapooltech » Sat 30 Jul, 2011 11:08

It does happen every once in awhile where the motor is faulty right from the mfg. Glad everything worked out! :D

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”