Brown staining on vinyl inground pool liner

Liner issues and problems installing or
maintaining above ground swimming pools.
Alou49
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 40X20 Vinyl pool, salt water chlorinator, DE filter

Postby Alou49 » Sat 28 May, 2011 18:34

I have a persistant brown stain on my vinyl liner. They are most prevalent on the walls near the shallow end water jet, but are beginning to show up all around the pool. The only thing so far that will remove the stain is a brillo pad? I tried a scotch pad, and regular pool brush to no avail. The ph in the pool is consistently around 7.2, and I use a Watermaid salt water chlorinator. I shock the pool on occasion with calcium chloride. The pool is closed from early September to May each year (living in New England is fun!). I have photos if that will help.

Please help, I am trying to sell my house and the buyer may back out because of the staining!

Thanks

Update: I added over 6 pounds of Ascorbic acid and used a poly 60 algaecide, plus one purple jacks magic. Circulated for 24 hours, cleaned my DE filter and re-started my salt/chlorine generator. The pool looks great! 95% of the staining is gone, and all I needed to bring my chemistry back was 9 lbs of baking soda, and in a couple of days I will shock and add CYA!

Thanks everyone for your help. :D
Attachments
Pool3.JPG
After treatment
Pool3.JPG (59.89 KiB) Viewed 14470 times
IMG_2897.JPG
Where it started
IMG_2897.JPG (73.31 KiB) Viewed 14532 times
IMG_2898.JPG
Top is where I used a steel wool pad
IMG_2898.JPG (69.06 KiB) Viewed 14532 times

Rernie
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 24 ft diam. above the ground pool, pleated filter, 1/2 HP pump. Pool Rover cleaner.

Postby Rernie » Sat 18 Jun, 2011 12:40

This year was the first time I had brown staining on my vinyl liner and it was extensive. I tried a few things and nothing seemed to work. Brushing or scraping did nothing. However, I needed to adjust the pH as it was quite low. The least expensive way to do that is to use baking soda. I dumped a full box into my 24 ft diam. above the ground pool and the pH came up to optimum quickly and has stayed there for at least a week.

Here's the kicker though... Acouple of days after I added the baking soda the brown stain was gone! I had been filtering nearly constantly and cleaniing the filter when needed. I didn't notice and excessive brown precipitate on the filter fabric, so I assume that the brown stain had simply dissolved. It hasn't com back do far.

Anyone with the brown stain problem could try this. It's safe and cheap. Good Luck.

Rernie

Return to “Liner & Above Ground Pools”