Bioguard and black Algae

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
cmdmoto
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 10,000 Gal in ground pool
Chlorine
Blue Haven pool
Concrete

Bioguard and black Algae

Postby cmdmoto » Wed 01 Jun, 2011 10:51

Look to see if anyone has used the BioGuard Spot Kill or might know if this product is good for Black Algae use. The guy at the Pool store told me that it was "the best product" out there and Bioguard is one of the top manufatures for pool Chemicals.....
Is he blowing smoke up my *ss or not?

I'v had my pool for about 4 years now and and I got it in absolutely horrible shap and have turned it into some bueatul but now I really want to keep it up.

Thanks for any advice in advance!

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Bioguard and black Algae

Postby chem geek » Wed 01 Jun, 2011 20:32

You can prevent algae, including black algae, by maintaining an appropriate Free Chlorine (FC) level relative to the Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level. See the Pool School for more info.
cmdmoto
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 10,000 Gal in ground pool
Chlorine
Blue Haven pool
Concrete

Bioguard and black Algae

Postby cmdmoto » Thu 02 Jun, 2011 08:15

Yep... I know that I didnt do my maintance work on the pool especially me opening up the pool for the season. Thats the cause of this. Im in the medical field and the best remidy is always prevention. Thats what we teach as Nurses. However, I need a fix for this problem and I have looked all over the internet and there are a lot of different answers out there for this perticular problem. When we first got this pool it was very dark green and I was instructed to super shock the pool with half a 50lb bucket of shock and it worked. Only cost me $50 for the shock but it was worth it. I'm thinking that this might be calling for the samething.

The Bioguard Spot Kill WP is 99% trichloro-s-triazinetrione(Chlorine?) so I take that is really strong. Honestly, I believe that this product will work. Guess I'll get back to you on the Product review.

Thanks!
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Bioguard and black Algae

Postby chem geek » Thu 02 Jun, 2011 13:12

Assuming your pool is a plaster pool, you could just use a Trichlor puck and rub it on the black algae area -- the product you are talking about is nothing more than Trichlor. The key, however, is to scrape the waxy layer (the "head") off of the black algae to expose lower depths to higher chlorine levels. You want the active chlorine level to be higher, but if your CYA level is already high then adding Trichlor will increase the CYA even more. Shocking with chlorinating liquid or bleach would be better.

Bioguard and black Algae

Postby Guest » Fri 03 Jun, 2011 07:47

Thanks for the response Chem geek! I'll give that a try today and ill get back to you late this week.

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”