Fertilizer in pool

Chlorinating, maintaining the right chlorine levels,
chlorine problems. Dichlor, trichlor, cal hypo, bleach,
granules, chlorine pucks and chlorine sticks.
dave t
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 15x30

Fertilizer in pool

Postby dave t » Thu 02 Jun, 2011 05:40

I accidentally got some fertilizer in my pool. What kind of problems can I expect? It was probably less than 1/4 of a cup.

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Fertilizer in pool

Postby chem geek » Thu 02 Jun, 2011 13:09

It will raise phosphates and nitrates which are algae food. So long as you maintain the appropriate Free Chlorine (FC) level relative to the Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level as shown in the Chlorine / CYA Chart, then the chlorine will kill algae faster than it can grow regardless of nutrient level. If you find yourself unable or unwilling to manage your FC/CYA ratio, say because you are using Trichlor tabs which continually add to CYA and you aren't raising your FC target accordingly, then you can spend more and get an algaecide or phosphate remover to help control algae growth.
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

Fertilizer in pool

Postby czechmate » Thu 02 Jun, 2011 13:38

Make sure you have some pool stain remover /sequestrian in the pool water when you start pool in the spring. It will suspend the iron that may get in by fertilizing surrounded areas.
It will make nasty brown spots that chlorine will not bleach and you will have to sand it of.
dave t
I'm new here
I'm new here

Fertilizer in pool

Postby dave t » Sat 04 Jun, 2011 10:01

Thanks for the responses. I am new to this pool thing so any insight is appreciated. If the fertilizer will really mess with the pool that much even is such a small quantity, I may not fertilize around the pool anymore.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Fertilizer in pool

Postby chem geek » Sat 04 Jun, 2011 15:15

I've had 3000+ ppb phosphates in my pool and prevented algae growth by simply maintaining the appropriate FC/CYA ratio. So one can certainly manage a pool high in algae nutrients (though such a pool is very reactive and unforgiving if you let the chlorine level get too low), but if you feel more comfortable keeping fertilizer away from your pool, that's your choice.
dave t
I'm new here
I'm new here

Fertilizer in pool

Postby dave t » Sun 05 Jun, 2011 06:40

chem geek - thanks for your helpful information.

Return to “Chlorine”