I killed it but.

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
madpixl
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 21"X52" namco 5 years old

I killed it but.

Postby madpixl » Fri 03 Jun, 2011 07:14

I started with green algae. I finally used this stuff called hth green to blue. It seemed to kill the algea turn it brown and sink it to the bottom when the filter was stopped. But I could not vacuum it out without stirring it back in. Now my pool is brown.

I was then supposed to simply vaccum it up. No sooner than I got about 3/4 the way through, then the the stuff got all stirred up and made my water brown. I did it a second time with the same result. AFter letting it settle the water was chyrstal clear with some foggy brown on the bottom.

The brown water seemed to go right through my filter. I used a large phosphate removal pad from my fish tank. It seems to fill up with dead algea (like brown mucus), but it does not seem to help the overall appearance.

So I left it running all day. I cleaned my filter cartridge and shocked my pool again. The color remains like coffee with cream. How do I get the dead algea out? I tested the water the next morning. My chlorine levels are still very high, so I don't think the algae is still alive. My ph was highh to, so I added ph down.

The water is now brown and less clear then when I had algae.
What else can I do?

madpixl
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 21"X52" namco 5 years old

I killed it but.

Postby madpixl » Sat 04 Jun, 2011 05:46

Talked with hth, seems they forgot to mention on their label that green to blue is only for inground pools with sand filters that can "vacuum to waste". I shut the pool off and all the dead algea is on the bottom. Now I'm going to try to vacuum it out via siphon into the woods.

If this doesn't work, the rep said I'd have to drain the pool and refill the 11,000 gallons.
gman555

I killed it but.

Postby gman555 » Tue 07 Jun, 2011 10:04

We used the same product and it killed it and it appears like brown mud at the bottom of our pool. We bot this product and I didn't read where it was for those kind of pools, we have a in ground pool with a cartridge filter, so I guess now I am going to have to drain the pool
flannyoak
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Above-ground, 24' round, 54" deep, cartridge filter

I killed it but.

Postby flannyoak » Fri 17 Jun, 2011 21:07

Not sure if anyone was able to get the brown out yet without draining and refilling. Well I to found this product and thought "why not" I've tried everything else. After I put it in I came in and started searching to see if anyone else had luck with it and found a couple posts about it. Lesson learned. My pool is an above ground cartridge filter and I have been tearing my hair out for the last week and a half. I'm on a well and can't fill with a hose so I have it trucked in. Costs way too much. With a lot of elbow grease and patience I finally got it out. I unhooked my return hose and vacumned straight to the ground. Usually keep my old filters for opening the pool each season and put a good one in once the pool is clear. I just kept switching the filters out when they started to clog and vacumned very very VERY slowly. It took about 2 hours the first time and I got out about 3/4 of it before my water level got to low. Couple days later water level back up and 2 more hours and there was only a trace left. Another couple days and water level was back up. Another 45 minutes and I think I have most of it out. There was minimal brown left so I put the good filter in and hopefully that will pick up the last tiny bit. Good luck folks!!!!!
RJ251
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 50,000 Salt Water Swimming Pool. Fully tiled with solar heating, in floor cleaning system, sand filter and built in 2010.

I killed it but.

Postby RJ251 » Sat 18 Jun, 2011 19:15

Once you have killed off all the algae I suggest you get your local pool shop to test for Phosphates. Phosphates are the major food source for algae and if you remove this compound the algae will find it very difficult to regenerate.
Tony86413

I killed it but.

Postby Tony86413 » Sat 09 Jun, 2012 16:31

I've used this product several times, the simple key is on the directions it says to vacuum to waste,
after I use this and do the vacuum the water is clean as can be. If you have a pool that you cannot
vacuum to waste, it's best that you find an alternative method.
dawn

I killed it but.

Postby dawn » Wed 27 Jun, 2012 14:21

It clearly says if you cannot vacuum to waste that you cannot use the product. I LOVE THIS STUFF! It has saved me on two occasions now and cannot recommend it enough to others who CAN READ SIMPLE DIRECTIONS. :lol:
mike1107

I killed it but.

Postby mike1107 » Sun 05 Aug, 2012 20:22

i bet dawns a fat slob who goes in the pool with all her clothes on so no1 can see how fat she is hahaha. :lol: if you dont have something useful to say to answer the ? just keep your irrogant mouth shut you fat pig.
Krisb

I killed it but.

Postby Krisb » Fri 10 Aug, 2012 10:53

I used this product for the first time ever. I have an above ground pool with a sand filter. Needless to say the same issues as stated above happened to me. I have never had a problem with my pool water, and actually only had a tiny bit of algea forming on the bottom from the heat. I put this in my pool and it smelled very toxic, the water looked horrible even after the waiting period and vacuum to waste was complete. I drained 5000 gallons of water and refilled however the chemical seems to be still present. Will NEVER use this again ever. Bad experience!
cleandee2000

I killed it but.

Postby cleandee2000 » Tue 14 Aug, 2012 13:04

I read all of the replies and decided to contact hth, because my pool is a pop-up and when I vacum all my dirt is going directly in to the filter. An hth agent did state that this Green To Blue shock system is not for this type of pool and to just simply shock with regular shock again. Which worked perfectly, my water is now clear. So before using Green To Blue shock system maybe you should contact hth.
Michele

I killed it but.

Postby Michele » Tue 04 Jun, 2013 14:37

:x I bought this product because I thought it was going to speed up the process getting rid of an algae bloom, but it is worse than ever. Not only did I have to vacuum out most of the water I put in the pool when I opened it, but now it's just as green as before. I should have been patient and just shocked it until the algae died. This is a hard and expensive lesson learned. There was nothing stating vacuum to waste on the back and I am looking at the box right now. I contacted HTH and they were hardly sympathetic. They sent me a claIm form to fill out for a refund. Do yourself a favor and don't waste your time or money with this product! I
Nancy77

I killed it but.

Postby Nancy77 » Wed 19 Jun, 2013 06:03

This stuff is great! I cant believe how stupid people are to not read the box and then post a stupid comment!! R u kidding me!! No wounder why this country is so messed up with compete incompetent people who are total IDIOTS!!!!!!
Randy

I killed it but.

Postby Randy » Sun 23 Jun, 2013 14:23

Okay I am going to be huge help to ALL the people that have been trying to make this work on a metal frame pool with a cheap on the pool skimmer/filter system.

This is awesome stuff it does work. I am going to tell you right now do not go wasting money on stuff to put in your pool to get out the so called easy way. This actually is the easy way.

1. Make sure the pump is not running until later. Get a pool vac for the pool that sucks the junk up and into the filter. You cannot use the cheap one that hooks up to the hose. I use Skooba Vac. The best thing made for our kind of pool.

2. Follow the directions exactly as stated on the back of the green to blue

Now you are amazed the pool is clear but all the crap is on the bottom now if you don't follow the these steps and try and just go through the filter system your pool will go back to its puke color. No you do not have to fill your pool back up with 11,000 gallons of water. That is a last resort and the worst one. Follow the next step.

3. Make sure your water level is at the max. Now hook up your vac like you would for it to go through the filter system, but take out filter

4. Take off the return hose from the pool and cap the the return pipe or turn it up so water does not pour out of it.

5. lay the whose on the ground away from the pool. It is best if you have an additional 6' of tubing to get it as far away from the pool as possible. I used old vacuum cleaner tubing. Works like a charm.

6. Now turn on the pump and start vacuuming the filth will all go out into the grass. So yeah you will drain a lot of water out but no where near even a half of the pool. No wasting money on expensive filters and chemicals by guessing what you need to do. This works period.

7. When your done disconnect everything put it back to normal and fill the pool with clean water that replaces the water you vacuumed out. Go swimming :D
mominmaine

I killed it but.

Postby mominmaine » Sun 14 Jul, 2013 12:42

This stuff is complete crap! So I understand the vacuum to waste crap, but come on vacuuming up fine particles......Yeah that's fun! So two hours later, I got about half of it. I have been reading lots of threads about this product and some reviews. Some suggestions are to clean your OLD filter over and over frequently. If you didn't understand vacuum to waste, try a shop vac. This won't work if you have an extremely deep end or once you get to the middle of the pool, but eventually after days and days and with a little help from an older and rinsed out pool filter you will get it all out. Lesson learned. This stuff is CRAP!
stupid me!!

I killed it but.

Postby stupid me!! » Mon 26 Aug, 2013 19:08

Color me stupid...I read and followed directions but somehow missed that vaccuum to waste meant inground pools only. I guess us stupid people can't afford inground pools!

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”