New to Pools 14 by 42 above ground ring type pool

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
jim6bev
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Above ground 14 foot by 42inch ring pool with pump and filter

Postby jim6bev » Sun 05 Jun, 2011 21:19

Well to start off my pool is a 14 foot by 42 inch above ground ring type pool with filter and pump. It hold 2,700 gallons and i am having a heck of a time getting chemicals balanced. TH is between 200-400 mark which is good by the test kit, FC i cant even get a reading on it registers as 0 and i am putting 1 inch tablets in daily, into the filter, I also bought a floater and put 4 tablets into it to try and get chlorine levels up. My PH was around 8.4 and i bought some PH- and it has only come down to 7.8 . I also bought a 1lb bag of shock to try to boost my chlorine levels but only used a small amount because it said on package that 1lb of shock treated 10,000 gal and my kids pool is only 2,700 . My TA is to high at 180-240, not sure how to get that down and CYA i dont get a reading on either. I have been reading that sun kills the chlorine and i do not have a cover for pool, do I need to get one being as i am in texas and we have high heat and sun on the pool daily. Not sure where to start and kind of scared to let my kid get into the pool till i get it right. water has started to get a bit cloudy but is clearing up a little now after i put a small amount of shock in it and PH- . i need to get in the pool and clean the bottom, there is a small amout of leaves but nothing to bad. Can anyone recommend where i should start and will a cover help from loosing the Chlorine

Thanks
Lost DAD

missdaeglady

Postby missdaeglady » Mon 13 Jun, 2011 17:55

i had one of those and all i used was 1/2 bag of shock plus and clorine tablets i never checked water chemicals but was always crystal clear and if you take water to be testeed they want yoou to buy this and that

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”