Algae

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
gman5555

Algae

Postby gman5555 » Tue 07 Jun, 2011 09:59

We had what we thought was green algae it was all over the pool, sides stairs, ladder ect ect. We shocked the pool added algaecide and according to our pool store we needed to add 6 2.5 gallons of chlorine and 6 things of stabilizer. We did this and the pool is now clear water, but what looks like pollen at the bottom of the pool, we have been running the pump for 10 hrs or more, but we have to go out every 4 hrs or so and clean the cartridge filter. When we clean the filter there are chunks of what appears to be mud, I think its yellow algae but not sure. it has a grainy feel but slimy as well. I am ready to throw in the towel and fill the pool in with dirt and make it a big ole flower bed! We added a product called swamp treat this did nothting, we have used shock blue, which helps with algae and so much chlorine that it burns my eyes. Oh and this is on the walls and very hard to brush off. the stuff on the walls are a kaki green color, I fear we are dealing with more than one type of algae. Can someone help????

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Algae

Postby chem geek » Tue 07 Jun, 2011 11:43

If the algae is mostly in shady areas, then it may be yellow/mustard algae that requires a higher chlorine level to get rid of. Also, you didn't post any accurate test measurement results. If your CYA level is high, then you should do a partial drain/refill to lower it otherwise you'll need too high a chlorine level to kill the algae and a high level to prevent it from growing in the future.

Please get your own good test kit, either the Taylor K-2006 or the TFTestkits TF-100 with the latter kit having more volume of reagents for the tests you use the most.

See Defeating Algae.
shoe2522
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 40X16 in ground hayward 1hp pump Pentair nsp60 Nautalus filter ..AquaCAl heatpump heater titanium heat exchanger

Algae

Postby shoe2522 » Wed 08 Jun, 2011 21:50

I would reccomend that you vacuum the pool clean the cartrige and vacuum, clean the cartrige again until all of the "algea" is gone .... You shouldnt need to add stabilizer with that much chlorine ......Its has stabilizer in it ....some pool supply stores are just trying to make money by selling you chems you dont really need .....Algecide is another ... its a preventer not a killer .... shock kills the algea ... Algecide keeps it from coming back...... What is the water temp? High water temp will make algea grow...if you are covering the pool at night or using a heater dont use it until the water temp comes down to the low to mid 80's. I use power powder plus shock or chlor bright its more expensive but its a better shock.... if I have an algea issue ..I usually add a couple of extra bagsthan I normally would use. Give it several hours to work then brush the walls .... keep running the pool and vacuuming
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Algae

Postby chem geek » Thu 09 Jun, 2011 01:08

shoe2522 wrote:You shouldnt need to add stabilizer with that much chlorine ......Its has stabilizer in it ....some pool supply stores are just trying to make money by selling you chems you dont really need
:
I use power powder plus shock or chlor bright its more expensive but its a better shock....

Leslie's Power Powder Plus is calcium hypochlorite (Cal-Hypo) which will increase the Calcium Hardness (CH) level.
Leslie's Chlor Brite is Dichlor which will increase the Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level.

The following are chemical facts independent of concentration of product or of pool size:

For every 10 ppm FC added by Trichlor, it also increases CYA by 6 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Dichlor, it also increases CYA by 9 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Cal-Hypo, it also increases CH by at least 7 ppm.

A higher CYA level will make the chlorine less effective. Chlorinating liquid or bleach will add neither CYA nor CH.

See Defeating Algae.

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”