Newbie, pls help- High Total Alk and low pH !

Problems relating to pH and total alkalinity.
Increase ph, increase TA. Reduce pH, reduce TA.
pH chemistry advice and techniques for the pool.
Philpj
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Small Vinyl Pool. Approx 6,000 Gallons. Pump and Filter running 24/7. Clean filter regularly. Have floating plastic device that delivers chlorine tabs.

Newbie, pls help- High Total Alk and low pH !

Postby Philpj » Mon 13 Jun, 2011 18:01

Hi, Pls help. I am a new pool owner. I got a gift of a vinyl round pool from my daughter and am having trouble getting the chemical levels right. I took a sample into my local pool people and they told me my pH level was too acidic so I bought two bags of Calcium Carbonate?? On their recommendation and after diluting in water, added them to the pool. I then took a sample into them two days later and they said my pH was okay but my total alkaline was way too high, approx 240ppm. I bought a gallon of acid from them and added a quart a day for two days, half a gal in total. My total alk is now down to 160ppm but my pH has also dropped to 6.8. I believe my total alk should be below 120ppm and my pH should be approx 7.3. I am not sure if their advice is correct as everyone I speak to in the store seems to have different advice to offer and I am confused. Thanks in advance for your help. They calculated my water to be approx 6000 gallons.

Return to “pH & Total Alkalinity”